Gardening in this pleasant climate.

Help Support CattleToday:

Australian Cattleman

Reaction score
Tenterfield,New England Region NSW,Australia
I absolutely love gardening and growing plants seeds etc. Some people have a terribly diificult time gardening in tough climates. I get despondent sometimes here during winter,but have adapted with flowers that bloom during this time and by having a green lawn with winter dominant grasses. These grasses die off in summer ready for the kikuyu to come through. Our mild climate often allows winter annuals to last right through summer.
I mulch a lot which helps considerably during both Summer and Winter.
Colin

The rain has boosted our garden along beautifully. We have stacks of flowers out at the minute. Here they are pansies,violas,dianthus,roses,larkspurs,bearded iris,petunias,gerberas. Our deciduous trees are nice and green. Our bottlebrush are starting to flower along with our grevilleas. I'm off to an open garden in our little town soon to have a look at this elderly couples efforts. They open their garden each year for charity. This year its for the local nursing home.They do a tremendous job in their small house block. We have a huge 9 acre garden that is open in our district later this month. Its spectacular and raises lots of money for charity each year that it opens. It has a large dam on a waterway that is its feature. It is one of Australia's respected perrenial gardens and was recently voted Australia's best garden. Our daughter got married there back in April (Autumn). Its much more spectacular now at this time of the year.
Colin :D :D :D

Never planted Okra whats it like? The border security people might think they are drugs.
When I get some decent photographs of my garden I'll send them to make all you people heading into winter envious. The flowers are flowering and the lawns green after our magical spring.
Colin

Went to an open garden on Saturday at the recently voted "best garden in Australia". Its about 10 miles from us. Its over 8 acres in size. Over 1500 people attended over the two days. Been there a fair few times now,our daughter was married there (only because our garden isn't quite finished yet) earlier in the year. We were disappointed with the garden this time it lacked colour because the weekend was about 3 weeks too late. Lots of the perrenials had finished their first flush. The garden is just too big now. I like a garden that can be maintained easily by two people at the most, Three quarters of the crowd sounded like they'd slipped and swallowed a mouth ful of plums as they arrived. Most of them wouldn't have known a penstemon from an aquilegia.There are many more beautiful gardens in our district full of colour and more easily maintained.
Anyway it was a day out. I will post some pictures of my garden when I master my digital camera a little better.
Colin

Latest posts