Finance ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Texas finance question? Had a guy I know call me about getting financed to buy a quail farm out in the Hill Country. I haven't a clue about whom would finance such an operation. Other than the Texas land Bank . All sounded a little to good to be true to me. Ask our county extension agent who is wortless as tits on a boar hog, didn't know either most likely to lazy to do the research.

CB, Tell him to just talk to the bank he normally does business with. When I go in, they try to talk me into a loan every time. Called yesterday and wanted to know if they were providing satisfying service.

There is a quail ranch near Chalk Mountain. It is a nice place. It is kind of a Bed and Breakfast and banquet rooms for small gatherings. Out of the way and a good place for city businessmen to get away and make group decisions. They release quail and get some folks with high dollar dogs coming around all times of the year. It seems like a good racket to get in but you never know.

hey Caustic Burno

Tell him to call the land bank near him. They will be happy to help. Also i sent you a pm.

we had a dairy farmer near us who was a big bird hunter.

built him a hunting preserve and has guided hunts and sporting clays and all that stuff.

sold the cotton picking cows about a year ago so i reckon he is eating off of the birds and the city fellers.

Auburn_Ag":1oa2khpm said:
hey Caustic Burno

Tell him to call the land bank near him. They will be happy to help. Also i sent you a pm.

Thanks I will pass it on to him, he is looking at an operation that produces 80,000 birds in six months.
Thats a lot of quail.

Caustic Burno":28om7inv said:
Auburn_Ag":28om7inv said:
hey Caustic Burno

Thanks I will pass it on to him, he is looking at an operation that produces 80,000 birds in six months.
Thats a lot of quail.

Two of my best buddies are in the quail farm business in a big way and are doing well. One does the hatching and the other does the raising. They sell all over the southeast to preserves, sometimes as many as 20,000 to one customer.

A 12 week old bird is big enough to fly good for the shooters.

Cost of grain is hitting them hard now though. Them little boogers can put away some grain.

Funny thing is that if people would get rid of the deer, hogs and turkeys, they wouldn't have to buy quail anymore.

I wounder if Texas Parks and Wildlife has any grants. Also TSCRA is big quail habbitat supporters. If he has the colarderal most bansk should be willing. He may want to contact the land bank near the investment instead of close to were he lives.

Caustic Burno":3la840ok said:
Auburn_Ag":3la840ok said:
hey Caustic Burno

Thats a lot of quail.

That's not that many when you consider an owl or hawk will kill about 200 in one hit on your flight pen. Cats will kill about 50 per visit. If he buys it, he will probably learn to hate cats, owls and hawks. Probably will even put steel traps on top of every post or pole on the place and probably come up with some dandy cat traps. He'll also learn that quail are stupid, stupid birds. Just my observations.

Farm Credit will probably loan him the money. I'd stay away from SBA as I think they have quail doing their bookkeeping. :lol:

MikeC":26dkff4h said:
A 12 week old bird is big enough to fly good for the shooters.

Cost of grain is hitting them hard now though. Them little boogers can put away some grain.

Funny thing is that if people would get rid of the deer, hogs and turkeys, they wouldn't have to buy quail anymore.

Them raised birds move alot slower than the wild ones. That might cut down on the profit if they didn't have them.

Well he should be able to get a good loan rate. The Fed lowered the prime .75% a week or so ago, and then another .5% two days ago. Good news for anyone about to get a loan!

I have passed along the info and appreciate the input. His local bank didn't want anything to do with it as it was out of our area. Boy is planning on dropping a lot of presidents as a down payment. This looks to me to turn out like an explosion in a steel wool factory before this is over a real mess.