feeder lot

Help Support CattleToday:

gerardplauche

Reaction score
I have been feeding out calves for resale now for about 2 years and I want to make sure I am being efficient. I am buying calves around 225 lbs and selling around 500 lbs. So far this is working for me, but I want to make sure thre is not a better way. Any thoughts??

Usually cost of gain is chepaer for 5-6 wights then the ral light weights. Most beef calves aren;t even weaned at 225 lbs.

We have been doing the same thing for 3 generations. We have found that cattle much over 500 pounds take more grain and time to turn a profit. We buy them around 250 to 350 pounds keep them for 60 to 90 days and sell them at 500 to 600 pounds. The trick is knowing the market when to sell and what you can buy them for.

footballjdtractor":kemhfy1c said:
my hat is off to anyone who can keep a 225 pound calf alive long enough for them to weigh 500. You are better than me.

you sound pretty easily impressed. depending on facilities and equipment that plan sounds like it would work to me. i dont intend on finishing any of my steers. i will let some of the high roller feed them 20lb of corn per day!!jmo :lol:

The mortality rate is about 10%, in my experience. Anything bought under 200 lbs is a 50/50 chance....[/quote]

gerardplauche":3b7tyzvx said:
I have been feeding out calves for resale now for about 2 years and I want to make sure I am being efficient. I am buying calves around 225 lbs and selling around 500 lbs. So far this is working for me, but I want to make sure thre is not a better way. Any thoughts??

Are you figuring in death losses? Sickness/gain loss?

I would assume that older calves might be less susceptible to disease and such that might effect mortality rates and efficiencies.

If I remember right, I thought I read that the growth curve for beef calves was at its highest at about 500 lbs. because the rumen capabilities have not been able to physically develop and reach its efficiency peak any earlier.

Just a few thoughts............................

Like I said I have been doing this my intire life same as my Dad and his Dad before him, we buy between 300 and 600 hd every month and sell the same amount keeping our numbers the same all the cattle come from sale barns from all over. We have a death loss of 2% witch I am proud of personaly. everthing is started on feed by hand and watched verry closely they get cellarator boost when they come in and then nothing unless the show sings of getting sick.

what is your health/vaccine regime on those little guys? Do you give antibiotics on arrival or do you treat only as needed? Doing something for several generations helps to find out what works and what doesn't in any business.

until about 3 weeks ago we would process everthing as soon as they came off of the truck branding banding horns and give them a shot of pinacillin and then watch them close of the even look like they are getting somthing they would get treated. Now we have been useing a past called Cellarator turbo on arival and have been verry happy with the results works great. Alot of it has to do with how they are handeled they are hauled in by our trucks and worked as soon as they get off to reduce stress they are started on grain with buckets walking through them and keeping them calm will get them to start eating faster. But like I said the real trick to making money in this type of operation is knowing the market.

loomis":2kj2ho02 said:
until about 3 weeks ago we would process everthing as soon as they came off of the truck branding banding horns and give them a shot of pinacillin and then watch them close of the even look like they are getting somthing they would get treated. Now we have been useing a past called Cellarator turbo on arival and have been verry happy with the results works great. Alot of it has to do with how they are handeled they are hauled in by our trucks and worked as soon as they get off to reduce stress they are started on grain with buckets walking through them and keeping them calm will get them to start eating faster. But like I said the real trick to making money in this type of operation is knowing the market.

Loomis

Could you elaborate more on the Cellerator.
What is it?
What does it do?
Who makes it?
Where do you get it?

Anything else you can share about it and other info about starting, growing and marketing these lightweight calves.