electrical stimulating

Help Support CattleToday:

tapeworm

Reaction score
I think its good that the brahma producers are making this a spec for there nolanryan beef. Im still not for sure that ALL of the big packers are doing it tho..to ever carcass. I think this is Mikec*s field but Id like to find out more about it if anybody else knows

also does anyboyd know if the Chb and Cab specs call for electical stimulating?? I cant seem to find it

tapeworm":206cqxqe said:
I think its good that the brahma producers are making this a spec for there nolanryan beef. Im still not for sure that ALL of the big packers are doing it tho..to ever carcass. I think this is Mikec*s field but Id like to find out more about it if anybody else knows

"Brahma producers" don't own Nolan Ryan Branded Beef. Nolan and a group of Beefmaster breeders invested their own money in the branded beef program. They use Select cattle. If an animal grades Choice or better, it goes into the regular marketing channels.

Nolan Ryan uses at least three treatments to guarantee tender beef, a bath, electrical stimulation and aging. They may also mechanically tenderize it. In my opinion, the problem with this program is that not all beef needs to be jolted, poked, bathed, and aged. I've been told that the texture is mushy. But that was Angus breeder's opinions.

also does anyboyd know if the Chb and Cab specs call for electical stimulating?? I cant seem to find it

CAB does not call for electrical stimulation and I don't think that the major packers are routinely doing that. CAB is boxed up and shipped out like all the other beef. When we go to the City, I try to remember to take a cooler and buy CAB from a wholesaler up there. They age the CAB. But that higher quality grade makes it unlikely you'll get a tough steak.

https://www.cusackmeats.com/cusackmeats ... S79MWE7421

I will let mike c talk for American factories, the use of electrical stimulating in international meat factories including many exporting to the U.S.A. I.V tenderisers, mechanical'Needling' of de boned meat and other experiments have been tried over the years,electrical stimulation is the one that has been widely accepted. Maturing is still the best method of tenderising, but is time consuming and not acceptable to high turnover factories.
The authoratative book on the subject is Thornton's Meat hygiene printed by Bailliere Tindall of London.

Just got off the phone with my buddy in Kansas that works closely with all the major packers.

Electrical stimualtion is not so much for a tenderness aspect (although it does help), it corrects the PH of the meat (which makes it stay on the shelf longer) and enables more blood extraction from the carcasses.

It does not make meat mushy.

All the big boys use it and some of the smaller (locals) do too.

Latest posts