Dry, fuzzy hair

Help Support CattleToday:

Mosho

Reaction score
Have 2 year old heifer with calf. She still has not lost her winter coat. All our other cows are slick and pretty but she still has reddish, fuzzy, dry hair. She is getting plenty of grass and we are feeding her a little corn and protein cubes. She is also too thin. She has been wormed. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the response! No, we don't have fescue grass. We have Pensacola Bahaia.

Mosho":27zhfnku said:
Have 2 year old heifer with calf. She still has not lost her winter coat. All our other cows are slick and pretty but she still has reddish, fuzzy, dry hair. She is getting plenty of grass and we are feeding her a little corn and protein cubes. She is also too thin. She has been wormed. Any suggestions?

Is this a heifer you raised or one you purchased? The only thing I can think of would be she may have had a heavier worm infestation and needs to be wormed again. Was she skinny prior to calving? I believe I would worm her again, pen her and her calf and increase her feed. A calf takes a lot out of a good conditioned 2 year old - let alone one who is skinny to begin with.

We have two fuzz butts also...one herf with a calf and a baldie heifer who still is loosing her winter fuzz...both in good condition, a bit on the fat side actually but winter is comming soon. All things being equil...worming and general health IMO some just don't slick like others...bet the calf is a fuzzy little creature. I wouldn't worry about it.
Just my two bits worth....DMc

Usually the fuzzy ones like you describe are poorer do'ers. Not always, but I often find that they are the ones that do not breed back. Could be worms, or the stress of raising a calf, or both.

gerald fry would tell ya to up the copper in their mineral mix for a bit....cheap and might work.

You did'nt state if you're feeding minerals so if not Mr. Gale is right about copper. A deficiency of copper results in diarrhea, weight loss, lack of appetite, anemia, and a rough coarse haircoat that is often discolored. Zinc is also necessary for normal skin and hair development. Signs are, rough skin, sometimes with small cracks in it. You don't state where you're from, but if you're from Fla., it's known to have a zinc deficiency. Both copper and zinc is in a trace mineral salt.

You did'nt state if you're feeding minerals so if not Mr. Gale is right about copper. A deficiency of copper results in diarrhea, weight loss, lack of appetite, anemia, and a rough coarse haircoat that is often discolored. Zinc is also necessary for normal skin and hair development. Signs are, rough skin, sometimes with small cracks in it. You don't state where you're from, but if you're from Fla., it's known to have a zinc deficiency. Both copper and zinc is in a trace mineral salt A sign of lack of salt is a coarse haircoat and a lack of appetite.

i'd definitely give 'em some minerals. that will usually slick them right up.

Thanks for the comments. I am feeding loose minerals. I am feeding about 2 pounds of corn and about a double handful of range cubes. She has plenty of grass and good water.

I had one that sounds just like yours a couple of years ago. I'm not advising this, this is what I did. I cought her up and gave her basicly a double dose of wormer, pour on and then a full dose of injectable. In a month she looked like a different cow.

Alan

Latest posts