Dog's

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
We have many discussion's on this board about predator's on livestock and poultry.
Neighbor called yesterday and said he lost four of his Peking duck's in one night.
He found three told him dog's as a coyote, bobcat or fox would have hauled his meal off and be back tomorrow for another one. He called me yesterday found the forth duck three miles down the road just dropped on the side of the road. Told him to start looking cause one of his problem's live's near by. he had his calve's put through his fence about a month ago out of his weaning lot and was blameing coyote's then as well. I told him he had a dog problem that needed to be addressed with a 22 mag or a load of buckshot. It is nothing for a dog to travel six or seven miles a night and be laying back on the porch the next morning looking all innocent.

I lost about three chickens lately. Ended up dropping two dogs out of a pack of six. Chicken deaths ended. Lost a rooster a few days later. Then noticed a cat someone had dumped off. I sent it off to LaLa land. Population has stabilized.

Dogs are culprits for alot of bad things and people turn the other cheek and always want to blame a wild animal. I have dog problems here where alot of hunters whos dogs dont do like they want them too so they dump them off near houses which creates other problems and I have a pack of wild dogs they never come to my place but at night they tried to jump on a hound of mine and lost one in the pack and since they only make night visits and haul tail when my motion lights come on. Here dogs have roaming rights and I hate that cause alot of people think that means they dont have to give dogs shots and alot dont and bothers me cause I have young kids that play in the yard and they run up to the fence line barking at me so i know they are not intimidated by kids.

dogs are worse than yotes about killing stuff.atlest the yotes eat what they kill.i hate seeing dogs cross a pasture.

Dang fox took 8 of my 11 hens last week . Got him on game camera . Cats are getting bad around here too . Time for a trap or two.

JSCATTLE":1exemrzg said:
Dang fox took 8 of my 11 hens last week . Got him on game camera . Cats are getting bad around here too . Time for a trap or two.

Surprised you have a Fox and Cat problem at the same time. Foxes usually like cat better than Chicken!

Used to have dogs and coyote problems from time to time. Funny thing is that when the wolves moved in our property, the stray dogs and coyote problems magically disappeared...only I got a wolf problem!

3waycross":1w5dgbsn said:
JSCATTLE":1w5dgbsn said:

Surprised you have a Fox and Cat problem at the same time. Foxes usually like cat better than Chicken!
I didn't know foxes ate cats. I think it's a fox with kits she took 8 in one night . I put the camera out the week before because I saw her by the barn . Our road is a cat dumping area I guess . We get several news one coming around every month . I wish the fox would eat them instead of my chickens then I be extra happy .

Sorry for the hijack CB, but since you mentioned ducks it reminded me of the time we had a few ducks. We would find them with their heads chewed off; only one duck per night though. Then a couple days later another one would be found without a head. I can't remember for sure, but I think this happened during the winter. What would do this? Weasel?

ChrisB":2vyqugsh said:
Sorry for the hijack CB, but since you mentioned ducks it reminded me of the time we had a few ducks. We would find them with their heads chewed off; only one duck per night though. Then a couple days later another one would be found without a head. I can't remember for sure, but I think this happened during the winter. What would do this? Weasel?

Weasel, Mink would be my first quess. We don't have weasel's but we have mink and I have seen that tactic before.

JSCATTLE":npc9268m said:
Caustic Burno":npc9268m said:
Red or Grey?
Red fox .

Wow I haven't seen a red fox in year's. We have a lot of the little gray's since everyone quit trapping.
Had one in the pasture the other night barking at me sitting on the porch guess I was interfering with his round's.

Caustic Burno":2cy5qksn said:
JSCATTLE":2cy5qksn said:
Caustic Burno":2cy5qksn said:
Red or Grey?
Red fox .

Wow I haven't seen a red fox in year's. We have a lot of the little gray's since everyone quit trapping.
Had one in the pasture the other night barking at me sitting on the porch guess I was interfering with his round's.
I see several here in buna . I've trapped and relocated 4 in the last 5 years. This one is too smart for a live trap . I have a picture of it sniffing the trap . I hate to shoot it but I can't feed it chickens .