Dehorning

Help Support CattleToday:

rnh2

Reaction score
Have a couple heifers I want to dehorn. Thought about putting 3-4 elastorator bands on each side with a zip tie to keep them from popping off. Input? Thanks. Trying to do this bloodless

If you plan on keeping them as replacements might call the vet. They can remove the horns and stitch the area up fairly cheap. Looks better when they become a cow too.

Lucky":4rpq9g7n said:
If you plan on keeping them as replacements might call the vet. They can remove the horns and stitch the area up fairly cheap. Looks better when they become a cow too.

Back when I had a registered Charolais herd, that is commonly how I had it done if I didn't get them as small calves with an electric dehorner.

I banded the horns on a heifer a couple years ago, and it worked out pretty well. Her horns were probably 4-5 inches long, and it took close to two months for them to finally fall off. I used one of the bands from our XL bander on each horn and wrapped duct tape over them and it held them in place pretty well.

Vet here charges $17 to dehorn if you bring them in. Small price to pay in my book. I always hated de-horning back when we ran horned Herefords.