Dead COW

Help Support CattleToday:

foxfield

Reaction score
Found a dead cow today. Trying to figure out why. Cow has a calf about 5 months old. It was her second calf and she was 4 years old.

Now I can find no signs of injury. And it appears she died after I checked them yesterday around 2pm. I did think it was odd that she died within a hundred yards of where about 30 buzzards roost and yet when I moved her this afternoon, she had not been touched, by anything but flies.

Thoughts or ideas?

usually when scavengers wont eat them theres a reason, like some type of poisoning. either that or she hadnt been dead long when you found her..

Thanks. All of these are good ideas. The grass tetany, I wish I had grass. I am still feeding grain and hay as Central Virginia is very dry already. They are eating what is coming up, but I dont think it is enough. The cow was near the road so I guess it could have been shot. I dont think it died this morning, when my brother in law found it, because it was already extremely bloated.

Again, I guess a heart attack or something like that is not impossible. I just thought it was odd nothing has touched it. I haved lived on a farm for most of my life, but am 4 years into a cattle operation that is now up to about 75 head.

bloat is very likely. black leg and anthrax are also quick killers and tend to bloat fast. maybe the buzzards were full.

Definately not lightning, and all of our herd is vaccinated for black leg. As far as some type of poisoning, who knows, but for right now at least everyone else seems fine. Including her calf. Of course I guess I am going to have to move him so I can give him some milk.

5 month old calf? Unless I had a lot of free time to give hime milk, I'd load him up. Most people wean at 6-7 months. He's plenty old to eat on his own. I'm guessing 400lbs give or take 100, should bring decent money.

Unless the calf is small, it's about weaning time anyway. Sorry to hear about your cow. If she was close to the road, she may have eaten a plastic bag or something similar.

By tomorrow it may be too late, but we have an excellent animal science lab system in the state of VA that will to a necropsy for I think $66 & they dispose of the animal. I live close to Lynchburg, where I've taken my dead to over the years – learned much.

Foxfield -

Here's a link to the web site describing services & locations:http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/animals/labservices.html

Good luck!

foxfield":1cmhd58c said:
Found a dead cow today. Trying to figure out why. Cow has a calf about 5 months old. It was her second calf and she was 4 years old.

Now I can find no signs of injury. And it appears she died after I checked them yesterday around 2pm. I did think it was odd that she died within a hundred yards of where about 30 buzzards roost and yet when I moved her this afternoon, she had not been touched, by anything but flies.

Thoughts or ideas?

foxfield,

Did she physically appear to be in good shape for one with a weaning weight calf on her? If so,with no buzzards around my first (guess) would go with Beefy, some sort of poison. Any old metal or batteries around? Did you check for bullet holes? We found a young Bull several years back one morning in a pasture along the road shot in the head & still alive. Sell the calf, it should about ready to go anyway. Sorry you lost her.

fitz

Thanks to all who responded. My guess is something eaten, the vet says possibly a heart attack. I am in Burkeville Va so not far from you, Farminlund. Cow was seemingly in great shape, and was dead at least 16 hours by the time. I did probably round too high on the calf. Good size but only 3.5 weeks when I checked the date. One of the last calves born this season.

This is a wonderful site and I am thrilled to have this as a source for questions. Farminlund, even though I am closest to the Blackstone market, I sell my calves at Lynchburg. Maybe we will cross there one day.

Foxfield

Foxfield -

If you come into Lynchburg via 460, you drive right past the VA Health Center. It's just inside the city limits, nearly across the road from Tempelton's Market (convience store with Shell gas). I sell there as well, mainly in April & May (go early to avoid the lines).

I took a load up to Lynchburg yesterday, at 7:30 there was no line, 9:00 three lines across the lot, noon the whole lot was full. I left at midnight, they were still selling single heifers.

cfpinz

cfpinz -

We likely have stood side by side on the viewing catwalk in the past. I always target 7:25 - 7:45 as my arrival time. Usaully out by 8:30 at the latest. I drive a '64 Ford with a pvc pipe that runs the length of the truck body that can be used to "peak" a tarp.

foxfield":3otlji23 said:
Thanks. All of these are good ideas. The grass tetany, I wish I had grass. I am still feeding grain and hay as Central Virginia is very dry already. They are eating what is coming up, but I dont think it is enough. The cow was near the road so I guess it could have been shot. I dont think it died this morning, when my brother in law found it, because it was already extremely bloated.

Again, I guess a heart attack or something like that is not impossible. I just thought it was odd nothing has touched it. I haved lived on a farm for most of my life, but am 4 years into a cattle operation that is now up to about 75 head.
your pastures dont have too be covered with grass for grass tetany. alot of the time the sudden green up in spots that can do it

Farminlund":32orarah said:
cfpinz -

We likely have stood side by side on the viewing catwalk in the past. I always target 7:25 - 7:45 as my arrival time. Usaully out by 8:30 at the latest. I drive a '64 Ford with a pvc pipe that runs the length of the truck body that can be used to "peak" a tarp.

I'll keep a lookout for your truck from here on out, those years catch my eye. I learned to drive in a 1963 F350. I'm easy to recognize, too: I'll be the tall, ugly one. :lol:

cfpinz

Latest posts