Dag Nabbit

Help Support CattleToday:

CowboyRam

Reaction score
I ran out of barley with molasses the other day. My supplier was supposed to have some more in on Thursday. I drive all the way to Casper, but their truck didn't arrive, it got pushed back to this coming Tuesday, so I bought some of their straight barley, and mixed in what little I had then my beef turned her nose up at that s0. I called all around to find some, turned out they had some Scottsbluff NE, drove all that way, and they had sold it the other day but did update their inventory in the computer. The guy didn't bother to check if they had it, so I took some of there Purina Honor Show feed. My beef turned her nose up at it, so today I bought one bag of oats with molasses, but my beef won't eat that either. She goes to the butcher in a week and a half. At least I got a nice drive out of it, and got a chance to eat in a restaurant for a change.

Sounds like really bad timing, but I don't think it will matter much. Did you try to get some molasses and mix it with the barley yourself? Your beef might like it? Good luck.

I've always been told not to feed molasses to one that is about to be butchered, supposed to cause an off taste. I've always avoided it for that reason but you may have done it in the past with no problem, just what I've always been told.

I have learned lately that when I call to see if a store has what I need, they just look it up on the computer which is the same thing that I can do from home. the person on the other end generally sounds disgusted when I ask if he/she can physically go check to make sure it is there. more often than not their computer inventory is not correct.

I've always been told not to feed molasses to one that is about to be butchered, supposed to cause an off taste. I've always avoided it for that reason but you may have done it in the past with no problem, just what I've always been told.
I have never heard that, I guess I will find out if it is true.

I have never heard that, I guess I will find out if it is true.
After you butcher, update us as to whether or not the molasses effects the taste any.

Funny story: I was talking to a relative who is a city dweller, she was talking about seeing the liquid feed tanks in pastures and her husband told her it was pure molasses because those farms were raising sweet beef as niche market and the molasses made the meat sweeter. 😂 true story and he believed every word of it when he told her that too. When she asked me about it I had to bust out laughing, then I explained what they really were.

After you butcher, update us as to whether or not the molasses effects the taste any.

Funny story: I was talking to a relative who is a city dweller, she was talking about seeing the liquid feed tanks in pastures and her husband told her it was pure molasses because those farms were raising sweet beef as niche market and the molasses made the meat sweeter. 😂 true story and he believed every word of it when he told her that too. When she asked me about it I had to bust out laughing, then I explained what they really were.
We have a neighbor that tried selling the Loomix brand, but it never took off around here. It appears to have some molasses in it, but how much I don't know. I would think it would have to have some sort of sweetener to get cattle to consume it. So he was probably not far off.

We have a neighbor that tried selling the Loomix brand, but it never took off around here. It appears to have some molasses in it, but how much I don't know. I would think it would have to have some sort of sweetener to get cattle to consume it. So he was probably not far off.
That's how I explained it to her, that the liquid feed probably contained molasses but not to make the beef sweet.

Latest posts