Creep feeding vs finishing on grain

Help Support CattleToday:

NonTypicalCPA

Reaction score
It sounds like most beef is finished on grain in the last few months before slaughter. Does creep feeding calves from a few months old and continuing until slaughter translate into better marbling, better flavor, better tenderness. Or none of the above? I've been creep feeding and am trying to better understand the differences in the finished product, if any.

Best marbling I ever got was a calf I limit fed with a group of heifers for well over a year. Not scientific, but just my observation.

NonTypicalCPA said:
It sounds like most beef is finished on grain in the last few months before slaughter. Does creep feeding calves from a few months old and continuing until slaughter translate into better marbling, better flavor, better tenderness. Or none of the above? I've been creep feeding and am trying to better understand the differences in the finished product, if any.
I thought you were promoting and going to sell grassfed Wagyu. Have you realised that Wagyu needs a bit of assistance to marble?

Ken

Ive said it before and I'll say it again, there are advantages to creep feeding, in a drought or other low quality forage situations. But mommas job is to feed the calf, feed momma, and if she can't do it, she needs to grow wheels.

wbvs58 said:
NonTypicalCPA said:
I thought you were promoting and going to sell grassfed Wagyu. Have you realised that Wagyu needs a bit of assistance to marble?

Ken

No that's my buddy. I'm grain fed all the way!

Old research explained that a calf has a level of growth. If you keep that level at a high rate - continuously - the fat & marbling will come faster.
I, for one, can't afford to creep feed. I am able to harvest 13 month old steers, weighing 1200-1300# and going at least choice or choice+. Sell freezer trade.
The steers I sell at weaning, go to the same feedlot each year direct. I get feedback from him all the time. He runs hogs & steers and has his own butcher shop. He says "your steers make me money!" (with a big smile). Says they are "in and out" quickly.
If you can do that each year, how could you justify feeding early (creep) and getting a lighter carcass weight to sell? Let mom do her job and raise you FREE pounds. (well, we all know nothing is FREE)