Cottonbowl

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
The buckeyes didn't even score a touchdown on the SEC foe. Going to be interesting how the Wolverines come out against the Tide. The Tide can play some "D". Texas and Oklahoma joint the SEC next year.

I graduated from Purdue (Hoosier (Indiana) by birth, Boilermaker by the grace of God), and worked in Ohio for the NRCS for 17 years. I had a fellow employee who graduated from Ohio state that would 'harass' me every time Purdue would get beat, especially in football. I never really pay or paid that much attention to the sport. But, as a result of his 'badgering', I smile to myself every time I hear Ohio got beat, especially when they get trounced.

Mark, I sometimes miss the days of long ago when teams like the Cornhuskers and Boilermakers were a force to be reckoned with. It will be nice tho, to once again see Longhorns and Aggies renew their rivalry and go head to head again as they did in the old SWC..

I hope I'm wrong, but I have serious doubts about Texas being able to handle Washington. They are such a big physical team and lots of depth on the bench.

Last edited:
The whole Big 10 is overrated IMO. Even thou they are not in the Big 10, ND throw them in there. Had a diehard ND co-worker that thought Knute Rockne was the greatest coach in history. If ND played Red China, I would probably root for the latter.
Notre Dame may be coming to the Big 10 in 2025, but I think there has been talk of this for years, so I'm not holding my breath. Knute Rockne was probably the greatest coach.....for his time. Things change and it is very hard to compare what once was with what is. When Knute Rockne was 'king', the Big 10 was a force to be reckoned with. I don't think so as much for today.

These top team bowl games are like watching 7 on 7s. Its completey pointless and its garbage football. Most of the players in them haven't played a snap since high school, not even a resemblence of the actual team from the fall. It serves no purpose other than money for tv networks.

And, money FROM tv networks (and other sources*).
Sponsors pay the broadcasters of the bowl games and the broadcast networks pay a big portion of that to each conference, which then divvies up the dollar pie according to ncaa rules. Even a smaller school that doesn't even go to a bowl, and had a bad W-L record can get 6 figure$.

nearly $380 million

Last edited:
Its completey pointless and its garbage football.
Try telling that to the players that are actually IN the bowl games. They ain't out there playin just to make you and me happy.

I know someone that played in what was once known as the Dallas Football Classic until they took on sponsors and it's now First Responder Bowl. The Rice players were hyped up and ready (but lost) having only 2 regular season players miss the bowl game. 1 to the portal and another to 'medical retirement' (whatever that means). (Rice was 6-7 for the 2023 season. 'Fear The Owl'.
Their opponent, Texas State (8-5)(the winner) lost only 5 to the portal.

Try telling that to the players that are actually IN the bowl games. They ain't out there playin just to make you and me happy.
The ONLY reason the games even take place is to make fans happy. Not me personally, I'm not much of a college football fan to start with. Even at its best, its not great football. But these games really do a disservice to the better players that choose to play. Its simply not possible to play well with a group thats never played as a team before. I suppose the 12 team playoff will change this and eliminate so many pointless bowl games. I would hope so at least.

The ONLY reason the games even take place is to make fans happy. Not me personally, I'm not much of a college football fan to start with. Even at its best, its not great football. But these games really do a disservice to the better players that choose to play. Its simply not possible to play well with a group thats never played as a team before. I suppose the 12 team playoff will change this and eliminate so many pointless bowl games. I would hope so at least.
Yeah..."fans" aren't happy if no one sucks the $$$$$$$ out of their wallets.

Latest posts