Colostrum

Help Support CattleToday:

susie

Reaction score
My heifer is due to calve in 30 days. this morning I noticed a drop of cream(colostrum ) hanging off the end of one of her teats.So I've been watching the cows( she's with a younger steer).
So, what I suspected, the steer is trying to nurse her, so they are now in seperate pastures, as the cow was allowing it.
Do I need to purchase some colostrum to have on hand for the calf? The cows are near the house and I keep a real close eye on them, so I know he's not been sucking her much.
I also have a goat ready to kid so I was planning on milking out some colostrum from her to freeze to have on hand in case of emergency. I know the antibodies won't cross-protect, bnut not real sure of the antibody protection available in purchased colostrum?

Doesn;t hurt to have some of the synthetic on hand but I wouldn;t be overly concerned as long as she continues to bag up normally until she calves.

dun

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. She has a very small bag at this point , like half a grapefruit size, but her teats have enlarged somewhat.
Susie

Is the drop on the end hard? Sometimes when they lay down, a small amount will squeeze from the udder and harden on the end. I would think if the steer was stealing, you'd catch him at it.

She should be fine.. 30 days is plenty of time to regenerate colostrum for the new calf.

Watch out for mastitis. If the heifer has been sucked the plug will have been removed and you are now at risk for mastitis. Heifer colostrum isn't typically as good as cow colostrum and with the heifer being sucked already i would say that quality could be further comprimised. It wouldn't be a bad idea to give your calf both in this case.

TheBullLady":16k7nbwe said:
Is the drop on the end hard? Sometimes when they lay down, a small amount will squeeze from the udder and harden on the end. I would think if the steer was stealing, you'd catch him at it.

She should be fine.. 30 days is plenty of time to regenerate colostrum for the new calf.

Yes, I did catch him at it. Her teat was wet where he was sucking, and he was butting her like calves do.
It was a wet droplet, so I'll keep an eye on her udder for mastitis. I usually feel her udder and rub her belly every day when I feed her. I moved her to a clean pasture that has been resting since last August and gave her fresh clean bedding, but will still keep an eye on her.

Thanks,
Susie

Latest posts