Cockleburs

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
They were bad a couple years ago. They are bad this year. I am glad I keep my pastures mowed. The farms around here who are not careful with pasture care are covered with them. Are they bad anywhere else?

we was covered up with them last year in 1 or 2 pastures,an had to shredd them twice.but they arnt that bad this year.just kinda spotty.

We don't have any...thank goodness!
My solution:
1. Get sheep (burs love wool...)
2. Sheer sheep and burn wool.
3. Eat sheep.
4. Priceless...

:)

P.S.: We DO have "Devil's Claw"...free plants, you collect... :D

Running Arrow Bill":3js6xalu said:
We don't have any...thank goodness!
My solution:
1. Get sheep (burs love wool...)
2. Sheer sheep and burn wool.
3. Eat sheep.
4. Priceless...

:)

P.S.: We DO have "Devil's Claw"...free plants, you collect... :D
The operative word there is "priceless". Sheep are a PITA. I'd rather deal with one shyt at a time :lol2:

We have them for the first time this year. Our cattle have them stuck in their ear hairs, of all places!

In 19941 a swiss engineer after returning from a hunting trip with his dog, wondered why these burrs were so hard to remove from his dog, he looked at them under the microscope and saw the hook system and invented velco.

In Plant Morphology, we looked at plant pollen under the microscope. I remember that one plant produced pollen that looked like cockleburs. I always think about that during allergy season. You are breathing in pollen spores and it is like a cocklebur to your mucus membranes. No wonder your nose gets stopped up!!!

We call it a Cuckleburr. Had no Idea it is actually a Cocklebur, though. Its like a "Brush Haag", around here its a Bush Hog, regardless of brand. I guess I'm a hick. I just got through spraying all my pastures for a second time this year. First for the stupid Buttercups, now for the Cuckleburrs. :D

For years we had a poorer section in our town called cukleburr, everybody called it that with no after thought, don't know what it called now, probably it was just intergrated into the town.

cowboy43":2fi8mrib said:
For years we had a poorer section in our town called cukleburr, everybody called it that with no after thought, don't know what it called now, probably it was just intergrated into the town.

Its funny how those little communities get their names. We have a place down the road called Clawhammer. It's about as rough as it sounds.

tripleBfarms":fmxmgnyq said:
We call it a Cuckleburr. Had no Idea it is actually a Cocklebur, though. Its like a "Brush Haag", around here its a Bush Hog, regardless of brand. I guess I'm a hick. I just got through spraying all my pastures for a second time this year. First for the stupid Buttercups, now for the Cuckleburrs. :D

Same here, always called it a cuckleburr. Also we don't have Hickory nuts we have hickornuts..

inyati13":1ivhja3l said:
They were bad a couple years ago. They are bad this year. I am glad I keep my pastures mowed. The farms around here who are not careful with pasture care are covered with them. Are they bad anywhere else?
Spotty here, mostly in thinner grass areas. What is worse here is nightshade. That crap was growing through heavy fescue/clover fields.

Latest posts