Chemical plants

Help Support CattleToday:

Amen GB amen I couldn't have put better,along with government regulations.
I like like the sign idea might have to steal it saying the place Amoco built.
I guess we are like coal miners in some ways fourth generation of my family went to work in refinery this summer.
We keep the country in cheap electricity and fuel and as you said we are hated for it.

CottageFarm":3kth7hgw said:
boondocks":3kth7hgw said:
greybeard":3kth7hgw said:
I and my family are among those you are referring to. I read it. Gave it all the consideration warranted.
I suggest, you stop driving hydrocarbon fueled cars, stop using any and all plastics, paints, gases, & fertilize.
Make a real difference in the world. None of us will be holding our breath for that to happen.[/quote]

Wow, really? Lobbing a personal attack? Kinda uncalled for. I'll edit that: highly uncalled-for.
TB is right. The level of bullying on this board has gone up. Guess it makes you feel like a big man.
Any of you notice how few women there are left on these boards? Wonder why...

:bs: If you consider that a personal attack and bullying, you need some serious self assessment therapy.
I.E., Stop looking for ways to take offense...you're too old to be a snowflake.

When people call every comment they don't like "bullying" it degrades the definition of the word to the point that the real thing is no longer taken seriously.

And get off your high horse about the gender card, most of us aren't nearly so faint-hearted as to take offense at so innocuous a statement, especially since there was absolutely nothing in the comment related to gender. Go look for real misogyny elsewhere.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

I do not see where any of it had to do with being a female. I just saw it as a general statement.

There are plenty of women on these boards, that do not feel "bullied".

I'm sorry you feel that way.

CottageFarm":2m8nxgst said:
boondocks":2m8nxgst said:
greybeard":2m8nxgst said:
I and my family are among those you are referring to. I read it. Gave it all the consideration warranted.
I suggest, you stop driving hydrocarbon fueled cars, stop using any and all plastics, paints, gases, & fertilize.
Make a real difference in the world. None of us will be holding our breath for that to happen.[/quote]

Wow, really? Lobbing a personal attack? Kinda uncalled for. I'll edit that: highly uncalled-for.
TB is right. The level of bullying on this board has gone up. Guess it makes you feel like a big man.
Any of you notice how few women there are left on these boards? Wonder why...

:bs: If you consider that a personal attack and bullying, you need some serious self assessment therapy.

When people call every comment they don't like "bullying" it degrades the definition of the word to the point that the real thing is no longer taken seriously.

And get off your high horse about the gender card, most of us aren't nearly so faint-hearted as to take offense at so innocuous a statement, especially since there was absolutely nothing in the comment related to gender. Go look for real misogyny elsewhere.

Yeah, no snowflake here. Good one. :lol: :lol: :lol: Kinda snowflakey to to be offended by my comment though.Wasn't even directed to you. (At least I took offense at something that was directed at me). And I don't know how to ride a horse, high or otherwise. Sorry to disappoint. (FWIW, I don't typically jump in on CT to tell people whose opinion I happen to disagree with that they need therapy, but if that's ok in your world, I guess I could lob that grenade back your way...But, instead I will hope that you have a good day).

Workinonit Farm":1w6856fv said:
:nod: :nod: :nod:

I do not see where any of it had to do with being a female. I just saw it as a general statement.

There are plenty of women on these boards, that do not feel "bullied".

I'm sorry you feel that way.

Did you read the article? It noted that 14 Superfund sites in Texas are damaged or flooded by Harvey; that the storm caused 4.6 million pounds of airborne emissions that exceed state limits; and that there were 100 hazardous substance spills. I shared this out of concern for people in the affected areas! What I got back was a retort that I "should make a real difference in the world. None of us will be holding our breath for that to happen." I'm sorry you think that is ok.

I try very hard to stay civil on here (as in life), even when I (strongly) disagree with people. I don't think we should treat people on the Internet any differently than you would treat them face-to-face. That's just my own credo. To me, if someone was talking to me and expressed concerns about me and my family, neighbors and fellow residents due to all of the hazardous spills, etc., even if I didn't think it was a valid concern I would not tell them that no one is holding their breath waiting for them to make a real difference in the world. (!) Just, wow.

We are asked by Macon to keep it civil on here. Maybe I was raised with too much Midwestern politeness. My definition of civility seems to be different than some.

A stone was lobbed in my general direction..
No. No, it wasn't. I shared an article about the amount of toxic releases due to the storm. This was out of concern for those in the affected areas. It was in no way an invective against industry or modern life. How you read that in there, I have no clue.

One can support science, technology and industry and still also be concerned about hazardous spills following a major hurricane, surely. I do not see those as diametrically opposed. Nor did I even say that the spills should never have happened. It was an unprecedented event (as you so eloquently noted yourself), and humans can only do so much to "prepare for the worst", whether it's a farm or a chemical plant. But just as you have to clean up after the storm, so too do the plants. And that includes monitoring damaged and flooded Superfund sites, surely. :roll:

boondocks":qxz9zppi said:
CottageFarm":qxz9zppi said:

Yeah, no snowflake here. Good one. :lol: :lol: :lol: Kinda snowflakey to to be offended by my comment though.Wasn't even directed to you. (At least I took offense at something that was directed at me). And I don't know how to ride a horse, high or otherwise. Sorry to disappoint. (FWIW, I don't typically jump in on CT to tell people whose opinion I happen to disagree with that they need therapy, but if that's ok in your world, I guess I could lob that grenade back your way...But, instead I will hope that you have a good day).

Horseback riding is very therapeutic.fwiw

boondocks":1g8lswv5 said:
CottageFarm":1g8lswv5 said:

Your original post was supposedly directed at people living in the area who may be affected...you received a comment in return, that expressed his personal views, from one of those very same people. Your response to that comment was to call him a bully and a misogynist. Then you followed that up with a statement that could be construed to imply you were speaking on behalf of other women on this board.

I felt compelled to clarify that your opinion is certainly not shared by all. I also feel its right and necessary to speak up for those wrongfully and baselessly accused. You're correct that I do, personally, find wrongful and hurtful accusations to be offensive, even when not directed at me. I'm disappointed that you don't, and that you don't even see it because you're too concerned with looking for ways to take offense.
So lob away... but if you're going to accuse good people of the :bs: you threw at GB, be prepared for the push back.
Hope you have a great day too...

CottageFarm":o3paavqa said:
boondocks":o3paavqa said:
CottageFarm":o3paavqa said:

Your original post was supposedly directed at people living in the area who may be affected...you received a comment in return, that expressed his personal views, from one of those very same people. Your response to that comment was to call him a bully and a misogynist. Then you followed that up with a statement that could be construed to imply you were speaking on behalf of other women on this board.

I felt compelled to clarify that your opinion is certainly not shared by all. I also feel its right and necessary to speak up for those wrongfully and baselessly accused. You're correct that I do, personally, find wrongful and hurtful accusations to be offensive, even when not directed at me. I'm disappointed that you don't, and that you don't even see it because you're too concerned with looking for ways to take offense.
So lob away... but if you're going to accuse good people of the :bs: you threw at GB, be prepared for the push back.
Hope you have a great day too...

I lobbed zero BS. Took offense at him telling me to make a difference in the world and that no one was holding their breath waiting. Just because I shared an article about damaged Superfund sites. Wow. Who is easily offended here?
You and I have clearly different standards for civil discourse on the internet.

1982vett":2c1onxpc said:
callmefence":2c1onxpc said:
Horseback riding is very therapeutic.fwiw
So say you.....me, I'll stick with the tractor. :D
I need to ride my horse..Bless her heart, she get stuck in the corrals with only hay to eat all summer until the grass is burned up. She grass founders, so in the spring she gets put in the corrals by herself except with the occasional bull or cow. I did open up the allyway for her to graze...
Husband is still looking to go fishing soon. I doubt Sea Rim's fishing will be any good any time soon. We went once when they had flooding. It dilutes the salt in the marsh, so fishing isn't as good. May go further south..

Wow, can not believe people have no compassion anymore: people live and work in the refiners to support their families and hopefully send their children to college, A lot of these hard working people have lost everything and probably will not qualify for government assistance so just because the plant scares people that have no clue of plant regulations about their commitment to their employees and the environment shall we abandoned them ? tomorrow we will leave northeast Texas with 3 trucks and a trailer loaded with 170 cases of drinks and clothes and supplies to Groves Texas to be handed out to the good people of Port Arthur and surrounding small towns that need help .( never worked in a refinery but spent 35+ years on drilling rigs and these people are still oilfield family) God bless America

Latest posts