Check your evergreens....bagworms!

Help Support CattleToday:

Green Creek

Reaction score
Went out this evening and noticed my evergreens are crawling with bagworms. I don't know how they get so thick so fast but the damage is pretty bad. You Missourians might want to look yours over too.

We had several leyland cypress trees that were infested about the 4th of July. Got some stuff made by Ortho ,(systemic pesticide I think), and used it. As long as they're still active it will knock the snot out of them.

They can strip a bush or tree in a very short time. We had them bad in the dallas/ftw area. You can hear them eat.

Most definitely bag worms. We have had a few web worms in the pecan trees but not many and thank goodness we haven't had the walnut worms we had last year. They stripped every pecan tree in the county and beyond.

well i have something reeking havoc on my plants during the night. chickens would get them during the day. when i first noticed it had eated three big thick succulent huge leaves off of my cattleya orchid. so i took it inside. it looked like a deer had bitten it off. then it sawed off a big geranium nearly to the ground. then it got on my peacelilies. then it ate my potato vines. then it started on my mother in laws tongue. and it has a fondness for impations as well. i cant find anything but it probably hides out in the massive magnolia tree during the day. i thought maybe its one of those huge lubber grasshoppers.

it could be a flying squirrel. my cats caught one one night in that area.. i didnt know ...WHAT they eat.
it has to be someithing with a big appetite.

The grasshoppers are playing havoc right now so maybe that's what it is. They have stripped leaves from my hostas and are moving on to ornamental grasses. I sprayed with Permethin (sp?) and it slowed them down but I doubt it killed any.

We had bagworms on the trees around the driveway for several years. When I first saw them, I started pulling them off and mashing them with my foot. But there got to be so many, that I started putting them in a zip lock bag and threw them in the trash. But the trees were too high for me to get all of them. Then the wheel bugs showed up. Over three-four years, they've pretty well wiped out the bag worms. I haven't seen any of the bugs or a bagwork this year.

http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek030901.html

Latest posts