Cattle/Hog panels in a pickup

Help Support CattleToday:

DairyAirFarm

Reaction score
Anyone know any good tricks for transporting those 16' panels in pickup with an 8' bed?
Picking up 10 tomorrow, not looking forward to all that sagging and bouncing.

My #1 choice would be to have the store deliver them.

#2 would be a 16' trailer hooked to that truck. Don't think I'd try it with just the truck.

But then, I'm noted for my cowardice.

I fold 'em into a hump with one end against the front of the bed and one end against the tailgate. Then, I tie a string from the top of the hump down to the gooseneck ball. I've never tried to haul more than four, though. It'll be hard to get them humped up.

dyates":3ck3w53x said:
I fold 'em into a hump with one end against the front of the bed and one end against the tailgate. Then, I tie a string from the top of the hump down to the gooseneck ball. I've never tried to haul more than four, though. It'll be hard to get them humped up.

That's the way I see people haul them around here. I cheated, I just got a pallet load and used the trailer.

if you fold an bend them to fitt in your truck bed.they are liable to bounce out of the truck.id just hook the flatbed up an haul emm like that.

We have a hay fork at the end of the truck we use for that. Put the pannels in from one corner headed to the caddy corner and wire tight where ever you can and let them sit on the hay fork.

I've hauled a lot of stuff. Wouldn't try that trick. Best way is in a cattle trailer. No tieing needed. Borrow one, or hire somebody to haul for you. In a cattle trailer.

DairyAirFarm":1nzr9nho said:
Anyone know any good tricks for transporting those 16' panels in pickup with an 8' bed?
Picking up 10 tomorrow, not looking forward to all that sagging and bouncing.

Take along a bolt cutter and cut them in half. :lol:

My old pickup that I sold last year (man, I miss that pos) had a nice headache rack built behind the cab from 100lbs of angle and expanded metal. Was so heavy it ripped thru the top of my bed from stress one time. Laid a few panels on back of the truck one time with about 6 feet hanging out over top the cab, tied the middle of the panels to the safety chain eyelets for the g/n ball. Everything was fine and dandy til I went under a tree limb. Grabbed the top of the panels, bent them back and let them loose all at once. Sounded like a 12 ga went off inside the truck, broke every cab light off the top and made an interesting pattern in the sheet metal. Not to mention the windshield.

Buy a couple of 16' 2x6's with the panels. Lie the 2x6's on the bottom, the panels on top. Take along something real heavy for counter weight next to cab, or buy some sackcrete. Lots of red flags on the tail end.
I have seen people put carpet on top of the cab and put panels on top, tied to front bumper and rear bumper.
I have also seen accidents on the hi-way caused by people not securing their load. Be careful.

If you bow them in the back of a pickup be DAM sure you do not open the tail gate!! They will eat you. I did not do this but i saw a fellar after he did boy howdy he got scratched from head to toe and broke some ribs.

Ended up making two trips. First time around after loading the panels I rigged a gin pole in the center of the bed and used a ratcheting 2" web strap to hold up the rear 6' of the panels. looked good sitting still, got a bit bouncy if i went too fast......went back, got a sack of feed, put it on the end for ballast, worked fine and I took it real slow. Lest you think otherwise, the panels were also strapped to the bed six ways from Sunday, so even with a failure they wouldn't spread all over the road.

Decided I wanted 3 more panels. Used MikeC's bolt cutter suggestion. No problems.

Thanks to all.

Oh, stock trailer in in 6' of snow, 50 yards from any easy access.

dyates":24sfg34o said:

Thats the way I've done it. Seems to work okay. The most I've done that way is 5 if I remember correctly. I was afraid to do anymore. LOL!

I once hauled a 6ft couch on top of a mercury cougar 89 model. LOL!. I'm sure I could get it to work some way.

Latest posts