Cattle and sheep

Help Support CattleToday:

mcdowedd

Reaction score
Can cattle and sheep cohabitate peacefully?

-in the pasture?

-in the barn?

I have three bred heifers at the moment and would like to get some Suffolk sheep. Do I need to make sure they are always kept apart?

Not sure about sheep and cattle but I KNOW sheep and horses don't mix....

Three stray sheep wondered into a pasture of my dads with a horse in it. The horse tried to jump the fence didn't clear the T-post, landed on the post and ripped open his chest. Nearly hit a artery in the chest which would have killed the horse. $300 in vet bills later the horse survived. Kinda big scar left. Hated to see my sisters grandson of Kentucky Derby winner Spectacular Bid go through that...

OklaBrangusBreeder":1z5jiqr2 said:
Not sure about sheep and cattle but I KNOW sheep and horses don't mix....

Three stray sheep wondered into a pasture of my dads with a horse in it. The horse tried to jump the fence didn't clear the T-post, landed on the post and ripped open his chest. Nearly hit a artery in the chest which would have killed the horse. $300 in vet bills later the horse survived. Kinda big scar left. Hated to see my sisters grandson of Kentucky Derby winner Spectacular Bid go through that...

One of my worst memories ever was seeing a horse getting impaled on a steel post, doing almost the same thing your mentioning, except he was the one being chased. He didn't make it; they put him down right there.

mcdowedd":1bm204av said:
Can cattle and sheep cohabitate peacefully?

-in the pasture?

-in the barn?

I have three bred heifers at the moment and would like to get some Suffolk sheep. Do I need to make sure they are always kept apart?

Here is a pretty good article - the biggest problem I see is that if your cattle mineral has copper its a problem for the sheep.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/livest ... 01s30.html

yeah, so when your sheep die (and they will) dont let the cows eat them.

Msscamp is correct, Copper can be fatal to sheep and around here it is in most of the mineral mixes sold. You may be able to find mineral that is sold as all animal safe. Remember sheep mow the grass lower than cattle and may leave them little to eat unless you rotate your pastures.

Latest posts