Canadian Cattle Imports Running High

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
This is the main reason behind the US feeders now having big loses and slaughter cattle selling for $15 less than they did one year ago...Not only do the Multinational Packers have access to cheaper cattle, they also have access to their own owned and/or controlled captive supply cattle which they can use to their benefit...The glut of Canadian packer controlled cattle and packer manipulation are on again...For the last 2 years this was unavailable to them and we had record prices...

The US cattle producer needs the M-COOL law put into effect so we can identify our product.......

----------------------------------------------

DJ Jan-April US Imports Of Young Canadian Cattle Running High

KANSAS CITY (Dow Jones)--The number of feeder cattle and slaughter steers and heifers coming into the U.S. from Canada through the first four months of this year is running about 40% above the average for the same categories and time frame in 1999 through 2003.

Those years offer the latest comparison since no live cattle were allowed to be imported from there in 2004 or during those months in 2005.

Data compiled from the U.S. Department of Agriculture's weekly imported livestock reports show that through the end of April, 2006 cattle imports from Canada stood at nearly 423,000 head, with about 65% of the animals being slaughter steers and heifers sent directly to U.S. beef-processing plants.

The year-to-date figure for feeder cattle and steers and heifers imported from Canada as of April 29 is below the 2002 same-period total for all cattle, which included cows and bulls.

The U.S. imposed a ban on imports of Canadian live cattle as well as beef in May of 2003 when a case of bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or mad-cow disease, was found in a cow in Alberta. The ban on beef was partially lifted in August of that year, but live cattle from Canada were not allowed to enter the U.S. until mid-July of 2005, and those animals must be less than 30 months of age at slaughter.

Industry sources said there are several factors why more young Canadian cattle are being shipped south into the U.S. this year. One of the reasons is to allow the Canadian beef plants to process more of the older animals that are not allowed into the U.S. but which have built up in numbers there. Since the older animals nor beef from those animals were being shipped outside the country due to BSE bans and Canadian ranchers could not afford to simply destroy their aged cattle, the inventories built up on the farms and ranches.

Glenn Grimes, agricultural economist at the University of Missouri, said other contributing factors included the tariff that Canada had imposed on imports of U.S. corn, which along with "good" cattle prices in the U.S. have resulted in more Canadian cattle being shipped south.

Jim Robb, agricultural economist with the Livestock Marketing Information Center in Denver, said the number of slaughter-ready cattle coming into the U.S. from Canada during the first four months was about 2,600 head per week above the same period in 2003. He said that based on the number of feeder cattle that came across the border during the January-April period, Canada could have below year-ago on-feed inventories during the second half of the year.

Robb also said that LMIC expects beef imports from Canada to be down this year from a year ago and for total U.S. beef imports to be down for the year. Canada is eligible to ship beef to Japan, so more of its production from the younger animals is going there plus the Canadian beef plants are slaughtering fewer cattle this year than they were a year ago, he said.

U.S. beef processors boosted their weekend slaughter operations last week and again this week to offset the down-time from Monday's immigration day events. The combined estimated slaughter figures from this and last week resulted in 2.1% more cattle moved through the plants than during the same period a year ago.

Pork plants also made up for the closures on May 1, with the combined two-week totals running neck-and-neck with a year ago at 3.783 million this year versus 3.786 million last year.

Oldtimer":1rha8qmh said:
This is the main reason behind the US feeders now having big loses and slaughter cattle selling for $15 less than they did one year ago. "

Oldtimer":1rha8qmh said:
Re Ranchers net...2006 cattle imports from Canada stood at nearly 423,000 head, with about 65% of the animals being slaughter steers and heifers sent directly to U.S. beef-processing plants.

"Probably a pretty good reason- along with all the other area Mexico, Aus.,etc.) high beef imports- that the slaughter prices are running $15 below last year and the feeders are losing money on every head./..

frenchie":16q6e0l8 said:
Oldtimer":16q6e0l8 said:
This is the main reason behind the US feeders now having big loses and slaughter cattle selling for $15 less than they did one year ago. "

Oldtimer":16q6e0l8 said:
Re Ranchers net...2006 cattle imports from Canada stood at nearly 423,000 head, with about 65% of the animals being slaughter steers and heifers sent directly to U.S. beef-processing plants.

"Probably a pretty good reason- along with all the other area Mexico, Aus.,etc.) high beef imports- that the slaughter prices are running $15 below last year and the feeders are losing money on every head./..

frenchie- I agree with everything you printed there....

Oldtimer":2l7bf6h3 said:
frenchie":2l7bf6h3 said:

frenchie- I agree with everything you printed there....

You should they are your own words :lol:

I found this reply on ranchers net to your same question interesting.

Broke Cowboy":2l7bf6h3 said:
The number of feeder cattle and slaughter steers and heifers coming into the U.S. from Canada through the first four months of this year is running about 40% above the average for the same categories and time frame in 1999 through 2003.

2006 cattle imports from Canada stood at nearly 423,000 head, with about 65% of the animals being slaughter steers and heifers sent directly to U.S. beef-processing plants.

Probably a pretty good reason- along with all the other area (Mexico, Aus.,etc.) high beef imports- that the slaughter prices are running $15 below last year and the feeders are losing money on every head....

I wonder how many of these cattle received the Canadian BSE subsidy payment along the way....

So if the warehouses are so full of protein- why are they importing more :???:

Do I detect some bitterness OT?

You need to hear a few more things to make your smile even brighter.

I read some information that refutes what Mike has to say - but in my research I could not find it. I know it is out there - but where? Then again maybe I did not read it - maybe I thought I did? :D

I did find some other interesting info though.

I admit some of this information surprized me.

First - at least according to Canfax - the U.S. of A. is the largest importer of beef in the world. Ahead of Russia, all of Europe, the middle east, Japan and assorted others. 2005 figures.

Second - Once again - according to Canfax - and if I read it correctly - Mexico is your largest export market. And CANADA is your second largest export market. 2005 figures.

Third - The U.S. of A. holds only 9% of the worlds cattle inventory - far behind India, Brazil and China - Canada holds far less than the U.S. of A, at only 1.5% of the world cattle inventory. 2005 numbers.

Fourth - Canada imports beef - 89% of the imports that go into Canada - come from the U.S. of A. 2005 numbers.

Fifth - Canada exports to the following markets as of 2005:

U.S. of A.
Mexico
Hong Kong
Caribbean
Central Europe
Central and South America
South East Asia
EU 25

Percentages unavailable for Canada exports - the tonnage was there but I did not feel like working out the math.

U.S. of A. export markets in order of size are as follows 2005 numbers so Japan will have moved but I left it where it stood:

Mexico - 64%
Canada - 25%
Japan - 2%
Other Central America - 2%
Other Far East - 1%
Other - 6%

So OT - the U.S. of A. is importing. Oviously the producers are not able to meet domestic demand with what is presently produced. The biggest imports come from down south with Canada well behind.

The way I read the Canfax reports - and I do not claim to be an expert - therefore I am quite fallable - the final thing that I read - and was quite surprized to read - In 2003 the U.S. of A. led world production of Beef and Veal. In 2003 there was a substantial drop in production - and it has yet to rise to the 2003 numbers.

Almost every other country in the world has increased the growth and production of beef and veal. Despite the news I continue to read on the herd sizes and the increased production - the U.S. has fallen behind. Could this be due to the high prices offered over the past year? Over selling?

I have a tough time believing it is the importation of cattle that is causing the lion share of the problem. It is a combimation of many factors. As it stands right now, the U.S. of A. cannot feed itslf - or there would be no need to import. To be able to consume all of the domestic supply places the U.S. of A. in a wonderful position. But to handle ANY export market - that beef must be replaced with something - hence the importation of beef.

In closing I believe there are also additional factors which will cause the price of cattle to fall. I am often unpopular when I bring up captive supply - but the fact is it is easy for the big boys to control the price when they have production sitting outside in the pens.

Oh, yeah - the Canucks got a bunch of money for their beef during a disaster. Anyone wants to get into a - pointy finger - who got what in a subsidy war / fight / discussion with their neighbours is lower than a snakes belly in a wagon wheel rut.

We - certainly almost all of us - have benefitted from assistance, subsidies and "call them what you will" in one manner or another - anyone says different is a straight out and out liar. You know it. I know it.

Happens on both sides of the border.

And so does almost everyone on this board know it. So perhaps we could stay away from that one. Unless of course you want to start listing all the benefits and subsidies you recieved? And your neighbour recieved over the past years? And then we could get a few Canucks to do the same?

The U.S. of A. puts more into ag in almost any one State in the U.S. of A. than Canada does for the WHOLE country. And that is a fact. Be happy for those that receive when they need it and never be spiteful when someone gets something that help them keep their head above water.

You of all people should know this and live by it if you have as many cross border friends as you claim.

The tone of your comment demeans you - not what I would have expected from you.

B.C.

frenchie- You are again right-- That pretty well shows that we do not need to be importing from 40 countries of the world if we have a surplus in our own warehouses- only so the multinational packers can obtain cheap meat to label with the USDA inspected stamp and pass off to unknowing consumers as US product......

Latest posts