Camera lens?

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn

Reaction score
I've got a Nikon D7000 with a 18-200mm lens and a 80-400 mm lens. I am looking to take some pics from about 1 foot or so away. What lens will do that? My 18-200 will not focus down that close. Sorry for the newbie questions, but I am!!! :D

Get yourself a 35mm 1.8G for an awesome closeup prime lens. It's one of the best pieces of glass you can get for under $1000, and its only $200. You can get a refurb for less than that. It's a really great lens. Everyone should have a cheap, relatively quick prime lens if they have an SLR.

artesianspringsfarm":2lmchyty said:
Get yourself a 35mm 1.8G for an awesome closeup prime lens. It's one of the best pieces of glass you can get for under $1000, and its only $200. You can get a refurb for less than that. It's a really great lens. Everyone should have a cheap, relatively quick prime lens if they have an SLR.

Ok. Thanks- I bought both of these, I will send back whichever one I don't like (or can't figure out how to use)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005C5 ... UTF8&psc=1

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005C50H2Y/re ... UTF8&psc=1

That's a nice lens (both links are for the 40mm micro), but it's designed for closeup images only. If that's what you want, flowers, arranged items, food, etc. that's the ticket, at least on a budget. The 105mm Micro is a fair bit nicer, with better image quality, better macro functions, etc. Just like anything, it depends on the application and use.

Enjoy. If you ever need anything, feel free to shoot me a PM. Cattle are my distraction from my real life, which is running the online presence for one of the top 5 Nikon resellers in the country. Both of those, cattle and cameras, can be amazingly expensive pastimes.

artesianspringsfarm":1bnl7rb0 said:
Enjoy. If you ever need anything, feel free to shoot me a PM. Cattle are my distraction from my real life, which is running the online presence for one of the top 5 Nikon resellers in the country. Both of those, cattle and cameras, can be amazingly expensive pastimes.

Thanks. I know. Good thing I have a good job. ;-)

millstreaminn":1f4n6wjb said:
I've got a Nikon D7000 with a 18-200mm lens and a 80-400 mm lens. I am looking to take some pics from about 1 foot or so away. What lens will do that? My 18-200 will not focus down that close. Sorry for the newbie questions, but I am!!! :D
Been ages since I piddled with photography but use to have a set of "close up" lenses that simply screwed onto the front of the 35mm camera lens. You could take pics of gems almost and best I remember didn't cost much at all. You might google it.

TB is actually absolutely right. Get a 3 pack set of Hoya close up filters for the occasional macro shot and they are surprisingly nice on a decent prime lens like the 35 1.8G. I should have mentioned that. Just make sure its a brand that is nice enough that the frame of the filter is metal with good threads. There are some insanely cheap things called "filters" these days. :)

Latest posts