Burn Ban

Help Support CattleToday:

peg4x4

Reaction score
On Labor Day a fire started in Bastrop County. 35,000 acres - 1,600 homes burned. :frowns: There has been no rain since,but it is cooler. The Burn Ban is still in effect... So HOW do some people think it's ok to burn brush piles?? :devil2: :mad:

We had one of those moments here.. neighbor about 1/4 mile away started a brush pile up last week ... Nothing between us but woods and my hay barn ... I called the fire department and they fined him 500 dollars .... He wasn't happy but I can't stand to lose what hay I have because he's a moron ..

JSCATTLE":1wldvrer said:
We had one of those moments here.. neighbor about 1/4 mile away started a brush pile up last week ... Nothing between us but woods and my hay barn ... I called the fire department and they fined him 500 dollars .... He wasn't happy but I can't stand to lose what hay I have because he's a moron ..

Scares me to death that some idiot throw's a cigarette out on the highway. Turn south or north out my front door there is nothing in either direction for sixty miles except pine plantation. Forest service sucked most of the water out of the lake in my hayfield couple months ago fighting a fire.

JSC I have my hay split in four locations just in case of a fire.

That's not a bad Idea ..I disc around my hay barn once a month .. but flying embers could be a problem .. I talked to my insurance agent today about raising my ins. Hopefully things will look up soon.

JSCATTLE":mas1jqzl said:
That's not a bad Idea ..I disc around my hay barn once a month .. but flying embers could be a problem .. I talked to my insurance agent today about raising my ins. Hopefully things will look up soon.

tell you how smart i am.
back this summer when everything around us was on fire i called the the insurance co that had the policy on the house and asked about adding the barns, fence, equipment and so on, but they didn't offer such a policy.
i called farm bureau and they were not interested insuring any new properties.(in our area due to fire)
my wifes uncle sells crop insurance and said he could get us insurance and he and my wife took over.
things burned all around us all summer and i kept thinking well atleast we have insurance, well few weeks back i had a draft come through from the insurance co, so i called them and asked why they had drafted since we had already paid them.
they said no we hadn't paid and they had been holding the check for 90 days before issuing the policy, so we went all summer with fires all around us and no insurance. :dunce:

peg4x4":3as6aydi said:
On Labor Day a fire started in Bastrop County. 35,000 acres - 1,600 homes burned. :frowns: There has been no rain since,but it is cooler. The Burn Ban is still in effect... So HOW do some people think it's ok to burn brush piles?? :devil2: :mad:

Burn bans do not apply to agricultural burns.

There are hundreds of brush piles sitting around waiting on the burn bans to lift. You get nine inches of rain on one day, it is raining now, the brush is floating, and you have to wait until the commissioner's meeting in two weeks to see if the ban is lifted. By then it is dry again and not raining. People get frustrated and do what they should not do.

The system needs to be fixed such that when things are soaked, you can burn. This is where "burn bans" get detrimental.

cross_7":hti29d0s said:
they said no we hadn't paid and they had been holding the check for 90 days before issuing the policy, so we went all summer with fires all around us and no insurance. :dunce:
:roll: Can you believe it! You were lucky.

alisonb":288fobjk said:
cross_7":288fobjk said:
:roll: Can you believe it! You were lucky.

i have some nieghbors that were not so lucky.
lots and lots of fence lost, but the worst part was the loss of grass and cattle.
there were cattle scattered all over the country.
the sheriffs dept. was covered up with calls for cattle out on the hwy's but the land owners didn't have a the fences to hold them or anything to feed.
one the big ranches south of me leased three ranches in nebraska for three years and moved 5000 head up there and they figure it will take that long for the grass to come back.
they finally released the crp for grazing and lots of electric fence went up but that took way too long to get approved.
but were redneck, conservative, teabaggers, government control haters with morals and ethics so they don't much care what happens to us as long as we pay our taxes.

backhoeboogie":11vxsn2w said:
There are hundreds of brush piles sitting around waiting on the burn bans to lift. You get nine inches of rain on one day, it is raining now, the brush is floating, and you have to wait until the commissioner's meeting in two weeks to see if the ban is lifted. By then it is dry again and not raining. People get frustrated and do what they should not do.

The system needs to be fixed such that when things are soaked, you can burn. This is where "burn bans" get detrimental.

Don't know if it's on a county by county basis, but our fire marshal has the power to lift a burn ban. It takes the Commissioner's Court to enact one.

slick4591":35tklrf2 said:
backhoeboogie":35tklrf2 said:

Don't know if it's on a county by county basis, but our fire marshal has the power to lift a burn ban. It takes the Commissioner's Court to enact one.

I don't know the laws or if our fire marshall is granted the power. No one will invoke common sense. There are times when it is safe to burn and there are times when it is not, regardless of the burn bans here. Someone needs to do something. Otherwise folks are just going to keep getting frustrated and labeling things as an "agricultural burn that got out of control".