building a hay shed. how tall?

Help Support CattleToday:

whippoorwill

Reaction score
if you were building a 40' x 60' shed with 20' side sheds to store round bales. how tall would you build it? do you think 6"x6" post would be ok or would you use 8"x8". i will cut the post from telephone poles with band sawmill. thanks for your help.

I like 16 feet at the lowest point inside. That way we can stack 5x5 bales 3 high.

whippoorwill":2whpt4tv said:
if you were building a 40' x 60' shed with 20' side sheds to store round bales. how tall would you build it? do you think 6"x6" post would be ok or would you use 8"x8". i will cut the post from telephone poles with band sawmill. thanks for your help.

Do not cut the poles square - sink the whole thing in the ground - it will last longer than you will.

How high can you reach now?

My best

Bez

I went with 18' inside clearance with 8x8 posts. Very happy. If you are located in mid TN or North Georgia or Alabama I can give you the contact info of a Mennonite outfit that I highly recommend for quality and pricing.

made mine 15 ft but used scissor trusses so that let me keep the height down some i stack mine 3 high. At the time i built it i was rolling 5x6 and they went in with room to spare it is on a 4 12 pitch not sure what the center height is.

thanks for the replys.16' sounded good to me to stack 3 bales high,wasnt sure. im in alabama,but we will build it. i have several poles of various diameters.might could get more closer to same size and use them round instead of sawing them.

16 tall would be fine imo, And a 6x6 is big enough if you decided to saw them, but a 8x8 would be that much better, just saying that there is nothing wrong with a 6x6 for this.

Latest posts