bottlecalves/ice cream

Help Support CattleToday:

Howdyjabo

Reaction score
My neighbor(who for selfish reasons I am trying to help) has bottle calves up to 400lbs.

I have a source for icecream waste--
I know how to make use of it after they start eating--
but I wonder if it could be used earlier to cut down on the milk replacer costs too????

Its just slightly watered down ice cream.

They have to clean the equipment regularly when they are making ice cream-

Howdyjabo":aw613pqy said:
Its just slightly watered down ice cream.

They have to clean the equipment regularly when they are making ice cream-

So it's mostly water. I'ld stick with a known quality product and consider it the cost of doing business.

dun

Howdyjabo":3o9e63io said:
My neighbor(who for selfish reasons I am trying to help) has bottle calves up to 400lbs.

I have a source for icecream waste--
I know how to make use of it after they start eating--
but I wonder if it could be used earlier to cut down on the milk replacer costs too????

She must be good looking! :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, She is still bottle feeding 400lb calves? They could have come off the bottle long ago in my humble opinion.

They still need the nutrition, but can get it out of a bucket just as easy.

sorry- wasn'tclear
HE has bottlecalves AND calves up to 400lb

As thick as this stuff is it isn't mostly water- looks like a melted milkshake. I am getting it tested as we speak .

I wasn't thinking about him starting them on it-- just crosses my mind that they might be able to drink SOME of it before they get on full feed.

I cant imagine it would hurt them. Not sure what the actual sugar content is though. Need to be careful with that and bottle calves.

There was a hog farmer on that show Dirty Jobs that was feeding ice cream waste. Looked like sewer water to me - definitely not the best way to raise hogs. Pretty cheap I'm sure but...

Latest posts