Best Game

Help Support CattleToday:

Commercialfarmer

Reaction score
The best fish thread and the thread about food and memories got me to thinking and my mouth watering. Thought we needed to add this to round it all out. What is your favorite wild game to eat and if you want to add some details, all the better.

Fried quail with honey, biscuits and gravy and home made jelly take me back to the good old days at grandma's house. I think it has to be my favorite. It was hard to stay in a cold deer stand when I knew that was waiting for me.

Those venison poppers I found on the food section is probably next, and it sure doesn't hurt that my wife likes them enough that she no longer minds me spending some time in search of the main ingredient.

Summer sausage is probably third.

Elk tenderloin with gravy and biscuits. Next would be whitetail back-strap sauteed in butter and garlic with mashed taters, cornbread, poke salat and a fresh sliced mater.
I like fried squirrel with my gravy and biscuits as well.
I like rabbit glazed in honey on a cold winter night.

There ain't much wild game I don't like except for goose. Moose is really good with a big baked sweet tater and corn muffins. Darn I'm hungry!

Alot of it has to do with when, where, and who cooked the meal. Been a little over 40yrs. ago now, but the best game I can remember eating was partridge that my Granny cooked. My Pop took me up to the home place in northern WI to
hunt birds and we stayed at the farm. It was the first time that I ever ate anything cooked on, and in a real wood stove.
We had biscuits, gravy, and crabapple pie for dessert. But for the life of me I can't remember what the vegetables were that she cooked up. Now a days it's backstrap cut thin and fried quick in hot grease with alot of pepper.

TEAL- cut the breast up in cubes season put in a boawl and add a cup of Olive oil let sit altleast 30min . heat your spider to med/high. put your cubes in and brown the outside. meat should be rare. add what ever sides you want.
or
Dove- flour and fried w/mashed potatoes gravy and cat head biscuits

Black duck gumbo......nothing but about 10 l bs. of onions cooked down to a paste and then water and other goodies added...then add them "black ducks" also known as Mud Hens...laddle out some of that gumbo and black duck onto a big bed of rice and enjoy....only had this once but an old cajun fixed it and it was pretty awesome. Course we were all drunk as he!! by teh time it was cooked so there could have been a few rats in there too. :lol2: :lol2:

California quail. I can get a limit in about an hour after a days work without getting more than a couple hundred yards from the truck and it's just enough meat for my wife to breast them out and put them into a pasta with noodles, mushroom sauce, and homegrown veggies and feed us all. It's one of very few meals that I wish I could have second helpings of. I actually tend to put off ranch work for a month or so to let it pile up so that I'll be up there during quail season.
I also love a duck that's been eating rice and living in the real wetlands but that's a few hours north of me and most of the ducks here taste like the dairy sewage they like to frequent. :yuck:

cow pollinater":26f0le2r said:
I also love a duck that's been eating rice and living in the real wetlands but that's a few hours north of me and most of the ducks here taste like the dairy sewage they like to frequent. :yuck:

I have notice since they put in all the manure lagoons on the dairies here and quit letting them pump manure in the winter that there are less ducks around.

Mine would have to be axis back strap on the grill . And Cotton tail fried . I'm not real picky being coon ass and all . But I never could eat duck . It tastes to much like liver .

Had elk a couple times and fell in love.
Bacon wrapped dove breast ( what dish isn't made better with bacon?)
Grilled quail
Venison any style
Alligator fried is better than baked( you all knew it was coming)
Fried rabbit is pretty good

Keep the squirrel, dillo, possum, frog legs and rattlesnake off my menu thank you

I've ate enough Elk to choke a horse and i like the heck out of it but the very best game i ever ate is Pronghorn Filets pieced together so that they weigh 12 to 14 oz anf then wrapped in bacon and grilled med rare. We marinate them in a little golden italian for some fat and then grill them pretty hot. Even my wife likes em and she is not real big on game. The second best thing i have had is Hungarian partridge. Third is whitetail backstrap from SE Kansas. My mouth waters thinking of that whitetail doe from last winter. I mixed some of the trim from her with pork butt and made Italian sausage and the rest i ground with some 60/40 fresh beef trim and made burger. It tasted like ground sirloin

hooknline":nxss2nqa said:
Had elk a couple times and fell in love.
Bacon wrapped dove breast ( what dish isn't made better with bacon?)
Grilled quail
Venison any style
Alligator fried is better than baked( you all knew it was coming)
Fried rabbit is pretty good

Keep the squirrel, dillo, possum, frog legs and rattlesnake off my menu thank you
:shock: I didn't know there was anyone alive that didn't eat opossum pie.

TexasBred":1os0wcae said:
Black duck gumbo......nothing but about 10 l bs. of onions cooked down to a paste and then water and other goodies added...then add them "black ducks" also known as Mud Hens...laddle out some of that gumbo and black duck onto a big bed of rice and enjoy....only had this once but an old cajun fixed it and it was pretty awesome. Course we were all drunk as he!! by teh time it was cooked so there could have been a few rats in there too. :lol2: :lol2:

You mean Pooldoos? I think I was there that night!

Elk is hard to beat but antelope is good too!
Deer chili on a real cold day,I like it a little spicey!
Quail and rabbit are good but I haven't hunted them since I was a kid.

Commercialfarmer":cmmz9ftj said:
What's the deal with Muley's? Are they just not any good or does it vary with their diet?
There's variation with the diet. I've had some that was consistantly eating alfalfa hay that I put out for the cows that wasn't bad but they tend to browse on stuff that the cows won't eat and there's a reason the cows won't eat it.

cow pollinater":a4papw15 said:
Commercialfarmer":a4papw15 said:
What's the deal with Muley's? Are they just not any good or does it vary with their diet?
There's variation with the diet. I've had some that was consistantly eating alfalfa hay that I put out for the cows that wasn't bad but they tend to browse on stuff that the cows won't eat and there's a reason the cows won't eat it.

I have Muley's, Whitetail, and Blacktail here in Washington. I have shot all three and I think the diet affects all of them. Surprisingly the biggest Mule Deer I have ever shot was the best eating deer I have ever ate.

Kingfisher":2gxu8fql said:
TexasBred":2gxu8fql said:

You mean Pooldoos? I think I was there that night!
Heck Kingfisher you may have been doing the cooking...it was a long night. :lol2: A good cajun would call them puldos....had one bad experience with them one time.....one took off from the water and we tried to run under him with the bassboat and I stood up to try and catch his legs... just as I reached up he shyt a bucket full right in my face...dam near blinded me. :lol2: :lol2: