Any tricks for carrying step-in posts?

Help Support CattleToday:

badaxemoo

Reaction score
Any rotational grazers have any tips on how to carry a pile of step-in posts and string polywire from the reel at the same time?

Not to sound whiny, but I get sick of dropping them like a pile of pick-up-sticks each time a stop to step one into the ground.

What I do is string the wore from point to point and pull it fairly tight. The a grab an armfull of posts and start stepping off the distance. At each chosen distance I drop a post then continue on. When I run out of posts as I walk back to the source of the posts I put in the ones that I dropped on the way out. Move the source to the last post and start all over. Great exercise.

dun

I have thought about a larger version of an arrow quiver for over the sholder.

Sometimes I just use a couple of tarp straps with the ball on one end. These also make a great automatic poly wire tensionor and gate latch. At least one end of the poly wire has to make contact with a hot wire.The straps don't last more than a few months in the sun. I have found as many uses for them as duct tape.

...holding hoses in a coil
...strapping tools and shovels to the tractor
...gate keepers
...putting welts and bruises on your knuckles from snapping back

dun":1vcu6jmz said:
What I do is string the wore from point to point and pull it fairly tight. The a grab an armfull of posts and start stepping off the distance. At each chosen distance I drop a post then continue on. When I run out of posts as I walk back to the source of the posts I put in the ones that I dropped on the way out. Move the source to the last post and start all over. Great exercise.

dun

I use a slightly different method. After stringing and stretching the wire, I walk or ride to the point where the wire is 3-4 inches off the ground, install a post then go to the next point where 3-4 inches high and install post. No need to specifically space post as this method automatically adjusts spacing to wire tension and topographic changes.

Good luck & happy trails

Brock

Texas PaPaw":3nv594i5 said:
dun":3nv594i5 said:

dun

I use a slightly different method. After stringing and stretching the wire, I walk or ride to the point where the wire is 3-4 inches off the ground, install a post then go to the next point where 3-4 inches high and install post. No need to specifically space post as this method automatically adjusts spacing to wire tension and topographic changes.

Good luck & happy trails

Brock

Your topography is obviously a lot different then around here. I consider 50 feet iwthout a significant rise or fall to the ground to be smooth and level.

dun

I use an old army duffle bag with the top flap cut out. Two bucks at a yard sale my wife went to.

I just keep mine in the big basket at the front of the ATV, depending on the field size I may still have some posts on the rear rack.

I start out at the cross fence where I already have a ground rod driven. Hook one end of the poly wire to the fence (t-post) and take off with the reel to the other side of the field. Pull the wire tight, turn the ATV around and go down the line dropping the posts however far I think they need to be apart. Turn the ATV back around staying on the side I'll be leaving the field from and drive about 20 feet get off, step in the posts and hang the wire. Do that for the whole run.

When finished hook the charger to the ground rod and poly wire and turn it on. Make one more trip across with the tester checking the center and both ends to make sure the wire is hot all the way across.

When it's time to move it I pick up the charger, put some slack in the wire, drive down the row picking up the posts with my left hand and put them in the ATV basket. Then grab the reel and drive a bit and wind a bit.

It can take a bit more driving but it's easiest if you keep the ATV so your left hand is on the side of the fence so you can operate the throttle.

The above method works great for me but I've found even a better one now that my kids are older. We take the truck and after I set up the wire they take turns, one throws out the posts and the other steps them in and hooks on the wire while I drive the truck. Got to make sure they are not mad at each other though or them posts start landing mighty close to the one stepping them in :lol: .

J

My wife works excellent for transportion plastic posts when dividing pastures. Uses no gas requires no maintainence. Just have to wear earplugs while moving the fence.

Herefordcross":2pfdmt9a said:
My wife works excellent for transportion plastic posts when dividing pastures. Uses no gas requires no maintainence. Just have to wear earplugs while moving the fence.

Any tips for utilizing a high maintenance unit?

I use one of those pull type golf bags and cart. I can carry about 20-30 steppers in the bag and I just slide the spool on the handle. works real good for me. :)

That poly wire losses most of its charge after 600 feet or so. I generally keep my runs under that length or at least not too much longer. I put the handle of the reel in my left hand holding it with my middle two fingers. Then I put 12 or 15 posts on top of it in the hand. I walk along letting the wire run out behind me. Every now and then I grab a post with my right hand and step it into the ground. By facing the curly Q top away from me I can put the wire into the post with a flip of the wrist and on I go.

Dave":29v0r3k7 said:
That poly wire losses most of its charge after 600 feet or so. I generally keep my runs under that length or at least not too much longer. I put the handle of the reel in my left hand holding it with my middle two fingers. Then I put 12 or 15 posts on top of it in the hand. I walk along letting the wire run out behind me. Every now and then I grab a post with my right hand and step it into the ground. By facing the curly Q top away from me I can put the wire into the post with a flip of the wrist and on I go.

You must have aqeither a poor ground system or charger. Our poly is still cranking out 7500 volts at 1/4 mile or more. That's with it gettiing it's charge a 1/2 mile from the charger off od high tensile 12 1/2 gauge.

dun

Dun,
I have plenty of charger and good ground. Actually I have never checked the voltage out at the end of my poly wire. teh way my fields are set up I never have to run much more than 700 feet of poly. The idea that poly doesn't carry a charge a long way came from my talking with the Gallenger field rep. His claim which makes sence is that there are only a few very small wires woven into the poly wire. Their size limits the charge they will carry. Also after being rolled in and out a number of times some of those strands will get broke which again reduces the ability to carry a charge.
Dave

Dave":u5mendvg said:
Dun,
I have plenty of charger and good ground. Actually I have never checked the voltage out at the end of my poly wire. teh way my fields are set up I never have to run much more than 700 feet of poly. The idea that poly doesn't carry a charge a long way came from my talking with the Gallenger field rep. His claim which makes sence is that there are only a few very small wires woven into the poly wire. Their size limits the charge they will carry. Also after being rolled in and out a number of times some of those strands will get broke which again reduces the ability to carry a charge.
Dave

I know that's what is claimed, but if you check your wire you may be surprised at the acual readings. We use the 9 strand poly and haven't had any problems. The poly chafing and breaking has been more of a problem then the wires breakings.

dun

dun":1n4emhih said:
Dave":1n4emhih said:
Dun,
Dave

I know that's what is claimed, but if you check your wire you may be surprised at the acual readings. We use the 9 strand poly and haven't had any problems. The poly chafing and breaking has been more of a problem then the wires breakings.

dun

Dun

I agree as I also use the 9 strand polywire with stainless steel wires. Some brands use copper strands as they have less voltage drop over a long distance than stainless, however the copper is not near as durable. I have 1 run that is about 1000 feet and have less than 1000 volt drop at the far end. To keep polywire runs from getting too long I use 14ga steel wire offset from my perimeter barbed wire as a feeder wire. Due to durability & voltage issues, I would not recommend anything less than 9 strand stainless steel polywire. It cost a little more than the cheap 3 or 6 strand stuff but well worth the difference & a lot more durable than the copper wired stuff.

IMO-good polywire ranks up there with a powerful charger & good ground system as key elements of a trouble free electric fence. Just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

Latest posts