ammonium nitrate

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmgirl

Reaction score
I learned a few days ago that straight ammonium nitrate is hard to come by due to the nuts using it to make bombs. Question is when you buy a mixed fertilizer what is type of nitrogen is included? Is it ammonium sulfate or ammonium nitrate? I am concerned of putting out the sulfate variety due to the effects it may have on soil ph.

I guess I am showing my age, but I remember my daddy buying ammonium nitrate when I was a kid. It made whatever it was put on grow, grow, grow.

Thanks,
Farmgirl

As far as I know - at least in this area - it is still ammonium nitrate. It is apparently also a factor in manufacturing meth amphetimine, because I know there have been quite a few blurbs on the radio about it.

Farmgirl":3nxgt9d6 said:
I learned a few days ago that straight ammonium nitrate is hard to come by due to the nuts using it to make bombs. Question is when you buy a mixed fertilizer what is type of nitrogen is included? Is it ammonium sulfate or ammonium nitrate? I am concerned of putting out the sulfate variety due to the effects it may have on soil ph.

I guess I am showing my age, but I remember my daddy buying ammonium nitrate when I was a kid. It made whatever it was put on grow, grow, grow.

Thanks,
Farmgirl

That's a good question that few ask. Buying bag fertilizer you'll see the word Ammoniumnated if ammonium nitrate is used for that blend. It cost more per ton. I think it's about $20 per ton more. May be a little more now.

I bought from Royster Clark for over 30 years. When they were bought out by a Canadian co. they no longer offer 34% ammonium nitrate. And the only ammoniumnated blend they offer is from Rainbow. Their bulk mix will either have urea or ammonium sulfate. They prefer to use ammonium sulfate and will if you don't ask for urea. I don't use urea.

And you're right about the PH and ammonium sulfate. But I think ammonium nitrate also pulls the PH down but not as much. The big problem I see with ammonium sulfate after several years of usage is the copper shortage in the cattle. Once the sulfer builds up in the soil it'll build up in the cow and then she can't absorb copper as it passes through her. On black angus a good sign is red tips on the hair.

I didn't see ammonium sulfate as a big problem until we got into a drought. I lost more grass where ammonium sulfate was used than where ammonium nitrate was used.

My correction to all this was to soil sample and put down N,P & K by the soil sample. So I apply each seperate. Yes I make an extra trip over the fields. But also had some fields that didn't need P and some that didn't need K. So in the end I fertilized for less cost than with a blend fertilizer.

Right now I can get ammonium nitrate from Southern States and Camp Chemical. So choices are getting fewer.

I use both but recently saw some 27-0-0-12. Never seen it before and don't know much about it but was told its ammonium nitrate covered in calcium. The calcium keeps it from melting away without rain and also prevents bomb making.

Was also told the reason ammonium nitrate is harder to get is the regulations placed on truckers. They have to have a special license to haul this now and many of them don't won't to bother and those who do get extra for hauling this "hazardous" material. However, it may not be a problem much longer cause if the govmint opens the borders to Mexican truck drivers they will be able to haul this stuff without the permits since they will be licensed in Mexico. Go figure.

Most nitrogen fertililizers are urea based now.

I bought some calcium sulfate last week for side dressing my melon patch. It was $600 per ton in the bags and not available in many places.

The best nitrogen used to be "Nitrate of Soda", but is very expensive now also.

Wish I could get my hands on some of the old "Guyana". It was bat manure mined from caves.

I bought some ammonia by the bag the other day and talked to the guy at the nursery where I get my fertilizer. He said ammonia nitrate was only available in bulk and not in bags due to the bomb making. The bag is a mix of ammonia sulfate and urea.

Latest posts