Alphalfa forage for cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

coolpop

Reaction score
my neighbor has alphalfa forage she fed to her horses, she wants me to feed it to the cattle - smells good, but I'm not sure if they could digest it well.

What do you 'all think?? Anyone ever used it for cattle.

coolpop":3rf8wa56 said:
my neighbor has alphalfa forage she fed to her horses, she wants me to feed it to the cattle - smells good, but I'm not sure if they could digest it well.

What do you 'all think?? Anyone ever used it for cattle.

Alfalfa hay is a big part of our ration in the winter. Depending on where the cows are in their gestation they will get between 30% and 100% alfalfa hay. It is great feed, but if it is too fine and green, it can cause bloat if they have it free choice. Good alfalfa hay will have crude protien of over 16%...

I should have given more detail:

It is bagged alfalpha forage that my neighbor bought from Southern States. The horse she was feeding it too died (old age) she hates to see it go to waste - so she wondered if the cattle could eat it. I wasn't sure where to go for the answer - thought this forum was a real fine place to start. :heart:

Start slow and it'll be like candy to your cows, the horse be nices get it from southern states here and bloat their horses with it and then get to pay the vet to try to straighten 'em out.

Start them slowly and give the rumens a chance to develop the necessary bacteria if not they could easily bloat and avoid the fines for a few weeks. We feed high quality alfalfa all winter
and have spoiled our gals, they turn their noses up at the rougher first cutting and just eat the candy.
DMc

Latest posts