Alfalfa Cubes?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I've never fed alfalfa cubes before. Read a little about them on the net. I need something more convenient to travel with, than square bales. I don't have a hay rack on my trailer, and cubes are "usually" readily available when I get to my destination. I traveled in the rain a couple of weeks ago, and had to throw 2 square bales in the LQ. Had them in a huge garbage bag, but still made a mess.

A couple questions:
1. How many pounds do I feed? answers are all over the place on the net.
2. I'm going to wet them, do I completely cover them with water?

My wife was feeding them when we started dating because she couldn't find a reliable hay source. She would feed between 5-10 lbs. twice a day depending on how cold it was and what if any forage was available in the pasture. They also make a forage cube that is mostly Timothy if you can find them or get someone to order a pallet for you. It is nice because you can get the lbs. of roughage without burning them up with alfalfa. We didn't soak ours but the people I know that do usually pretty much cover them. She fed them for several years and was very happy. I am to much of a cheapskate for that and I make my own hay so in the end the "free" way won out. They are very convienent though.

I doubt I would every feed them here at the house. They do seem handy to travel with though. I actually picked up a bag at TSC today. The product itself was horrible. It's the only choice in town. I believe a better brand would work fine. Soaked them 30 minutes, and they were still as hard as Superman's forehead.

I quit feeding them years ago when I had 2 horses die. The vets thought that there could have been a contamination issue, like Somonilla. But it was never proven.
Another incident that I had happen was a filly choked on them. If you have ever seen a horse choke, it is pretty frightening. She panicked and ran backwards. I am assuming that is why people soak them.
I have been to places where they make pellets and cubes, and it is not the best hay that is going into them. I am not saying that they are all processed that way, just something to think about.

I picked up a bag. Soaked them, and even worked them up with my hands. Horses at just a little, and none were super excited about it. I'm usually gone for 3 days and 2 nights. I wonder if alfalfa pellets would be an acceptable roughage source, while we're on the road?

BF I would be afraid to change feed while on the road, from what they are getting at home. The feed change along with the stress of hauling and competing can't be good.

Bigfoot":18vyphmc said:
I picked up a bag. Soaked them, and even worked them up with my hands. Horses at just a little, and none were super excited about it. I'm usually gone for 3 days and 2 nights. I wonder if alfalfa pellets would be an acceptable roughage source, while we're on the road?
They should be pretty much identical with the exception of the size. Pellets are usually made from dehydrated alfalfa. The cubes you mentioned could be sun dried alfalfa. Either way it's usually lower quality alfalfa (doesn't look good in a bale so they grind it) with a guarantee of about 17% protein. You might try mixing some of it with shredded beet pulp. Most horses love the beet pulp. Has good digestibility but only about 8% protein. Some companies use it in their senior horse feeds.

TB,

I'd be trying to replace all hay, while traveling. It's not smart to change anything for a competition but, I'm to the point I travel with so many horses, I can't carry enough hay. Any pitfalls to the plan, or replacing my normal roughage for 2.5 days with pellets? My gut tells me it's not smart.

Bigfoot":3jb1btq7 said:
TB,

I'd be trying to replace all hay, while traveling. It's not smart to change anything for a competition but, I'm to the point I travel with so many horses, I can't carry enough hay. Any pitfalls to the plan, or replacing my normal roughage for 2.5 days with pellets? My gut tells me it's not smart.
Bigfoot pellets usually fall apart much more easily when put in some water. I know it doesn't take much of anykind of change to affect horses but don't think the pellets would really hurt anything. The only thing I can think of would be that they could eat them more quickly...