Ag Depression ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Completely different world. Horsepower, no access to credit, large families, meager existence even before the depression, local consumption, no commercial fertilizer, no pesticides/herbicides, minimal fuel usage, no vaccines, no antibiotics, no real veterinary care. And the basic understanding that a farm life was quaint and simple survival was all that mattered.

This farm prospered using unemployed men for work in exchange for room and board. Lots of men cutting and burning to clear land all summer long for two decades in the 30's and 40's. Nowadays we have welfare and unemployment insurance, so that goes out the window.

Stocker Steve said:
Different world, but some things are still the same.

Bud said his Dad made money by trading livestock during the 30s.

This is interesting. I have had several people ask if I had any ground beef for sale. So, I have a 3 yr old that aborted in December. Was going to cull her this spring; however, made an appt for Wednesday to have her ground into hamburg.
Opportunity...especially after realizing how brutal the cull market is here

bball said:
Stocker Steve said:
Different world, but some things are still the same.

Bud said his Dad made money by trading livestock during the 30s.

This is interesting. I have had several people ask if I had any ground beef for sale. So, I have a 3 yr old that aborted in December. Was going to cull her this spring; however, made an appt for Wednesday to have her ground into hamburg.
Opportunity...especially after realizing how brutal the cull market is here

Good call bball!

Actually history will tell you that there was a depression in ag in '28 and '29 before the stock market crashed.

Yes, I think the ag depression actually started in 1920, when high prices and high production (huuuum) driven by WW I government polices (huuuum) started a long long price decline. Sounds alot like the ethanol mandate....

Stocker Steve said:
I have put out a couple Stimulus Specials to our network. Latest one is buy 10 pounds of burger and get a N95 mask free !

That's a dang good deal. Those N95s are at a premium!

bball said:
Stocker Steve said:
I have put out a couple Stimulus Specials to our network. Latest one is buy 10 pounds of burger and get a N95 mask free !

That's a dang good deal. Those N95s are at a premium!

I had a couple of 3M packs (2 to a pack) of N95s and my daughter came and got them yesterday to use, as she is a nurse. She may have to help cover at a hospital that 4 direct care staff have already tested poitive. I had another box of just plain masks (50 ct.) as she took a bundle of those to help out with shortages.

Back to the OP farmers have to try to be prepared for the long haul. Around this part tobacco was big then as that is mostly gone now. My dad always said never get in to deep that you can't see yourself in the clear. Farmers need to tighten their belts another notch and try to ride this out.

callmefence said:
Laying hens going for 25- 30 bucks if you can find em.

A lot less livestock on Craig's list once there were empty shelves in the stores. Some reports now of folks euthanizing baby pigs and dumping milk.

Sold some old ranch style Hereford breds for U$S 1,000 each this week. Buyer was thrilled. He had already loaded up on hens, and now needed cows and a bigger guard dog for his 40 acre family stronghold.

jltret I had a couple of 3M packs (2 to a pack) of N95s and my daughter came and got them yesterday to use said:
We increased the family mask/lead/glove stockpile during SARS.

Our daughter is a nurse too. She said they can't keep PPE in the hospital because a lot of it is going home. Folks are scared. So now they have to lock PPE up.

I found myself watching a 6 part documentary on the Great Depression. What caused it, etc.

I too thought of how Bud said his dad paid for a farm in the Depression by buying what nobody wanted and selling what people wanted.

Toilet paper likely was not in play in that era.

Latest posts