Vetericyn

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
I saw it mentioned on here and there was a question about its value. I had a bottle at the shop. I remember it cost about $30 for a bottle. Here is what is in it:

Water
NaCl (table salt)
NaOCl (bleach)
HOCl (Hypochlorous acid, another oxidizer)

There is nothing of great value. No antibiotic. It is basically an isotonic solution with an ozidizer to disinfect. It should not cost that much.
I will not buy it again.
It would be very simple to make. Get a gallon bottle of distilled water at the grocery store. Add 12 level teaspoons of canning salt, 2 teaspoons of baking soda, and bleach (one would need to calculate the proper concentration of bleach to use).

Ron,
I've been saying this for years. PT Barnum characterized it well.
I'm not a chemist, and don't play one on TV - but I think your recipe is wrong. I did the math a while back, and here's a copy/paste from a previous discussion here:

"I've had a look at Vetericyn's MSDS(Material Safety Data Sheet). It's composition is, as follows:

96.3% Water
<0.1% Sodium hypochlorite (the active ingredient of chlorine bleach)
<0.1% Hypochlorous acid (formed when you dilute NaOCL(chlorine bleach) in water)
0.3% Sodium sulfate
0.5% Boric acid (commonly used as an eyewash, though typically as a 'dilute' 1.5% solution, which is 3 times stronger than what's in this bottle of snake oil)
3.0% Sodium Magnesium Fluorosilicate - a dispersing/suspension compound used in the gel formulation.

The 'active ingredients' - sodium hypochlorite and hypochlorous acid are present in exceedingly low concentrations (LESS THAN 1/10 of 1 percent of the solution)- and could conceivably be replicated by merely diluting out simple chlorine bleach(sodium hypochlorite solution) in water - but, wait, the Vetericyn folks generate theirs by passing an electric current through a dilute aqueous solution of NaCL(salt water) - hence it's magical healing properties and greater cost, I guess.

But, you could just dilute 1ml of plain ol' chlorine bleach (standard 5% solution) in 1 liter of water ( I believe I did the math correctly) and get essentially the same thing. But, if you didn't pay $30 for a half-liter, would you IMAGINE that it was working?"

I hope it comes in a really special spray bottle!
Again, I'm not a chemist, but I also wonder...after you break the seal on that bottle, how long does the chlorine fraction stay? If you bought that bottle 1 yr, 2 yrs ago, and it's been sitting in the barn or shop, is there even any of the residual oxidizing activity left, or are you just irrigating the wound or eye with what's essentially a spray bottle of water?

Lucky_P":2mto4tn1 said:
Ron,
I've been saying this for years. PT Barnum characterized it well.
I'm not a chemist, and don't play one on TV - but I think your recipe is wrong. I did the math a while back, and here's a copy/paste from a previous discussion here:

"I've had a look at Vetericyn's MSDS(Material Safety Data Sheet). It's composition is, as follows:

96.3% Water
<0.1% Sodium hypochlorite (the active ingredient of chlorine bleach)
<0.1% Hypochlorous acid (formed when you dilute NaOCL(chlorine bleach) in water)
0.3% Sodium sulfate
0.5% Boric acid (commonly used as an eyewash, though typically as a 'dilute' 1.5% solution, which is 3 times stronger than what's in this bottle of snake oil)
3.0% Sodium Magnesium Fluorosilicate - a dispersing/suspension compound used in the gel formulation.

The 'active ingredients' - sodium hypochlorite and hypochlorous acid are present in exceedingly low concentrations (LESS THAN 1/10 of 1 percent of the solution)- and could conceivably be replicated by merely diluting out simple chlorine bleach(sodium hypochlorite solution) in water - but, wait, the Vetericyn folks generate theirs by passing an electric current through a dilute aqueous solution of NaCL(salt water) - hence it's magical healing properties and greater cost, I guess.

But, you could just dilute 1ml of plain ol' chlorine bleach (standard 5% solution) in 1 liter of water ( I believe I did the math correctly) and get essentially the same thing. But, if you didn't pay $30 for a half-liter, would you IMAGINE that it was working?"

I hope it comes in a really special spray bottle!
Again, I'm not a chemist, but I also wonder...after you break the seal on that bottle, how long does the chlorine fraction stay? If you bought that bottle 1 yr, 2 yrs ago, and it's been sitting in the barn or shop, is there even any of the residual oxidizing activity left, or are you just irrigating the wound or eye with what's essentially a spray bottle of water?

Somebody on here posted this week, that's its a miracle worker. I said I read on here somewhere that there wasn't anything to it. They swore it was good stuff. Must be the placebo affect.

Have a neighbor who swears by the "Pink Eye" treatment by Vetericyn. Looks exactly like the same bottle with a different label on it. I admit that I didn't look at the label, but do any of you use this or know what's in it? Is it the exact same stuff with a different label? Just curious...

Vetericyn Pinkeye Spray Material Safety Data Sheet lists ingredients as:

Electrolyzed Water 99.836%
Sodium Phosphate 0.13%
Sodium Chloride 0.025%
Hypochlorous Acid 0.009%

Even more dilute than the regular Vetericyn wound stuff.
At $33.95/pint, that's some expensive water...

same here junk not worth the money , yet some people still swear by it for wounds and eyes
I bought some 4 years ago for pink eye , also used oxitet in the eyes and mastitis tubes, ended up taking him to the vet for eye injections and it cleared him right up, as he could not see
Suzanne