Yearling bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Hpacres440p

Reaction score
how are yearling bulls marketed at the sale barn? I see packer bull prices-I assume those are typically the big old boys who have reached end of use, and top feeder weights listed are 8's. Where do the yearling (15 mo or so) fit? Depends on who's there, I know, but for a typical black angus type bull, which end of the spectrum do they land on? I'm trying to sell private first, but if that doesn't work….

how are yearling bulls marketed at the sale barn? I see packer bull prices-I assume those are typically the big old boys who have reached end of use, and top feeder weights listed are 8's. Where do the yearling (15 mo or so) fit? Depends on who's there, I know, but for a typical black angus type bull, which end of the spectrum do they land on? I'm trying to sell private first, but if that doesn't work….
If sold as cutter bulls then around $1.80/# here at present. If just auctioned off as a breeder then would want a BSE and trich if not a virgin bull. Might still only bring cutter bull price unless right buyers show up

Unless they are registered bulls, they will be sold by the pound. How much do they weigh? You can look at the sale reports from barns close to you, and see what bulls that weight are selling for.

Also dont always think it has to be the top EPD's or the best bloodlines to sell well. A couple weeks ago i could have bought a decent 16 month old for $1600. No papers or not even sure what he was except he was black. I didn't need him so the guy put him on a special sale. Untested for anything and he brought $2200 weighing 1005lb.

Unless they are registered bulls, they will be sold by the pound. How much do they weigh? You can look at the sale reports from barns close to you, and see what bulls that weight are selling for.
I saw some young bulls sell yesterday through the ring by the head.
They guaranteed them but didn't say anything about papers.
One Charolais two black angus, they sold for about $2k, I wasn't impressed with them.

Every bull here from about 800 lbs and up sells as a slaughter bull by the pound. Some people buy them as breeding bulls, but its buyer beware with no guarantees of course. Most go to hamburger.
If that's the case, I'm better off beefing him out myself- I can use him until he sells PT or we freezer him.

Latest posts