Worked and weaned fall calves.

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Yesterday we worked and weaned the fall calves. It was the second round of working. Second round of Covexin 8, and this time gave Bovishield Gold. The first round they got Triangle 5.
Calves were right at 6-7 months, wanted to get them off before being back with the bull as we are running all cows together at this time.
Will probably retain the heifers and sell the steers in a couple months.473285FB-5869-494F-B798-11E6C3B64BA2.jpeg88DF1DB2-2024-47A3-9371-28B916D6C4F1.jpeg

The 2nd one from the left is sure a big butted beast. Did you get any weights? They really look great. I use BS5L5-HB - 2 doses 30 days apart. The Lepto and another component (BRSV I believe) also needs booster, so instead of giving both of them for booster, I hit them again with the BS. I also give OneShot Ultra at first workup., then give Ultra Choice 8 for booster at 2nd workup.
We all get a "system" that works for us - no ONE system is perfect and best for others.
I can use BS on my nursing calves, because my cows get BS every year. I worried about getting it in the cows at least 30 days before breeding - but that was a real pain. So, one year, I doubled up on them. They got it in spring before breeding like normal, then again in the fall. Now only hit the spring calvers in the fall (and fall calvers get it in the spring). They just have to have the shot every 12 months in order to be safe to give it to the nursing calves.
Again, your calves really look good.

We use Cattlemaster on cows and BoviShield on nursing calves (at branding and before weaning) for years. This is our vet's protocol. Mostly it is because we have a hard time getting cows worked with modified live on cows 30 days prior to breeding season, so use killed in fall.

The 2nd one from the left is sure a big butted beast. Did you get any weights? They really look great. I use BS5L5-HB - 2 doses 30 days apart. The Lepto and another component (BRSV I believe) also needs booster, so instead of giving both of them for booster, I hit them again with the BS. I also give OneShot Ultra at first workup., then give Ultra Choice 8 for booster at 2nd workup.
We all get a "system" that works for us - no ONE system is perfect and best for others.
I can use BS on my nursing calves, because my cows get BS every year. I worried about getting it in the cows at least 30 days before breeding - but that was a real pain. So, one year, I doubled up on them. They got it in spring before breeding like normal, then again in the fall. Now only hit the spring calvers in the fall (and fall calvers get it in the spring). They just have to have the shot every 12 months in order to be safe to give it to the nursing calves.
Again, your calves really look good.
Thanks,.
I think that is the calf from a Simmental cow and my 3/4 Angus 1/4 Hereford bull.
I though long and hard about keeping him a bull but we've used that line pretty heavy so he got steered.
We don't have scales anymore, I would guess those calves to be between 500-600+.
We vaccinate our calves in accordance to the guidelines of the CPH weaned and vaccination program requirements. Those sales are no longer taking place but the same protocol is considered value added when we sell at the stockyards. If it were not for those requirements we would probably never use any MLV vaccines. A lot of times I just give 2 rounds of a killed virus vaccine to heifers if I know I'm going to keep them.
We use Triangle 10 for cows.

Latest posts