Win. Model 70 25-06?

Help Support CattleToday:

allenfarms

Reaction score
Been lookin for a 25-06 for some time, found one described in subject about 95% cond. the only blemish on it is where they had a swiver sling on it and it made some circular scratches around the mount. It also has 2 Boss attatchments. $400.00 with rings on it but no scope.

It is worth what the buyer will pay. If you are willing to buy it - you are happy with the price - otherwise - walk away.

Own a couple - they shoot well.

Bez>

Yes its definately worth it. If its in good condition I would keep it and never sell it. Win Model 70's are not made anymore, therefore the value of them has increased. I think they discontinued them last year.

Hope it ain't a pre-1964!

If it is, go ahead and buy it and I'll give your money back AND buy you a beer sometime. ;-)

allenfarms":14i1nhn0 said:
What grain/bullet do ya'll recamend for small and/or large game?

I love the 87 grain Hornady Spire points in the 25-06.

It's the biggest 25 cal Hornady makes without a cannelure and every barrel/chamber has a different seating depth. I leave the bullet all the way into the lands. Just touching.

They have a Ballistic coefficient of .322 so they will hold their velocity fairly well at long ranges.

Should be big enough for any North American game if placed well.

For varmints etc. the 75 grain V-Max will do the trick.

Never done any serious "Paper Punching" with a 25-06 so I can't assess any "Custom" made bullets.

Maybe Dun or Curtis has tried the "Bergers", etc. or others?

All of mine have dumped deer all over Alberta - using 100 grain ballistic tips.

Downed two moose using 120 grain Hornady bullets.

They shoot nearly anything and do it well.

Bez>

The best 25-06 i have used where Remington 700's.
The best loads were,
100 grain Hornady spire point or
100 grain Sierra or
117 grain Sierra BT. settin on top of H4831.

I used the old 120 gr Speer Grand Slams when hunting larger bodied mule deer. For everything else I use bulk Remington Cor-lokt 120 gr. Never really tried it on varmints but shot through a coyote from end to end at a couple of hundred yards.

What is the farthest any one has shot/killed something, a feller here says he shoots prarie dogs @ 800 plus yards. True/False I think these super far shots, are a lot more fun, varmint wise anyway. I've gotta put a scope on this thing also any suggestions, something to be able to see to shoot 1,000 yards if I wish, but affordable.

allenfarms":2pyo48cm said:
What is the farthest any one has shot/killed something, a feller here says he shoots prarie dogs @ 800 plus yards. True/False I think these super far shots, are a lot more fun, varmint wise anyway. I've gotta put a scope on this thing also any suggestions, something to be able to see to shoot 1,000 yards if I wish, but affordable.

Prairie Dog - 748 yards by a rangefinder and stepped off to verify. Six other witnesses, of which 3 were drunk. Just outside of Nucla, Colorado

22-250 Ackley Improved shooting a 70 grain bullet.

Deer - around 700 yards. 7MM STW.

I will say nothing about the prairie dogs I completely missed at 100 yards. Why bring that up? :lol:

Mike - Are you serious? I couldn't even see a dog at that distance. Of course, we don't have dogs -we have ground hogs which I believe are considerably larger.

It's supposed to be a big deal w/ the spotting scopes and all the long range shots on prarie dogs, ground hogs etc.

Bullbuyer":qvswcie9 said:
Mike - Are you serious? I couldn't even see a dog at that distance. Of course, we don't have dogs -we have ground hogs which I believe are considerably larger.

Yes you could. I have a 6.5 X 20 Leupold that will find them for you! :lol:

There has to be a spotter watching for you. It takes two to seriously shoot PD's.

From the 2007 Remington catalog available model 700,s in 25-06.
700 cdl
700 alaskan
700 sps stainless
700 xcr
plus the 798 which is built on a mauser action.

Latest posts