William Barkly

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm gonna take some recent pictures this weekend and probably use him as a breeder for the other cows that are there but do not belong to me.
I would ask permission from the owner of the cows before joining with your bull.
I own a year old Angus bull. ... At what age will my bull become sexually active in this herd?
The bull is 1 year old and would be sexually active now. To better understand his level of sexual maturity, one could measure the size of his scrotum. There is a correlation between scrotal size and fertility. The measurement is normally taken as part of a Breeding Soundness Exam (BSE).

I'm gonna take some recent pictures this weekend and probably use him as a breeder for the other cows that are there but do not belong to me. I will have to work something out with the owner of the other cows if they are bred by my bull. I guess the only way to know is if any become pregnant because there is no other bull in the herd. They bring a bull in for that when the time is right. This bull I bought is just one of last years calves that for some reason avoided being cut. At what age will my bull become sexually active in this herd?
Are you think of charging the owners of the other cows a service fee from your bull?

Ken

I would say around 6 or 7 hundred pounds easy. Can I still sell him as a slaughter cow if he hasn't been cut? I was wanting to sell him for breeding. What are my options?
Yes. If you look at sales reports from auction barns, you will see a category called " slaughter bulls". If he isn't registered with EPDs, etc, no one will buy him for breeding. If he is 700 lbs, go ahead and cut him. As a bull he will bring $1.50 a pound. As a steer he will bring twice that, or close to it.

Last edited:

Latest posts