who tans cowhides?

Help Support CattleToday:

pdubdo

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get a cowhide tanned? Suspect I'll have to ship it somewhere. I'm located in North Texas. Thanks for any suggestions!

Ask a local taxidermist. On a large scale commercial level there is no one anymore. They get shipped out of the country.

Yep, any good taxidermist should be able to take it and handle it from there. They won't tan it themselves, except the fleshing and salting will need done prior to shipping.
If you know how to flesh, salt, and dry the hide (big job) there are tanneries that you can send it to. Moyle does decent flat skins and handles cow skins, but there are many others.

My brother did one, it was a lot of work but came out ok. After learning on that one he did a kangaroo skin and that came up really nice and soft. He gave up after that. Just way to much work.

We use to have a tannery in a local town that was there for many years. When it was there you could smell it all over the town and the town is still dealing with some of the chemicals and it has been closed probably 30 years. A couple of guys that worked there I have heard tell some pretty horrendous stories about working conditions.

https://apnews.com/46f7bff622026b00776877d5ceddc1c9

jltrent said:
We use to have a tannery in a local town that was there for many years. When it was there you could smell it all over the town and the town is still dealing with some of the chemicals and it has been closed probably 30 years. A couple of guys that worked there I have heard tell some pretty horrendous stories about working conditions.

https://apnews.com/46f7bff622026b00776877d5ceddc1c9
I worked one summer with a construction company inside the Tannery when I was 19. I couldn't describe how bad it was. It sure made me get back in College that fall.
I know a couple guys that worked there that died of cancer in their 50's.

Latest posts