Where to sell Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

GAOulu

Reaction score
I am losing my shirt selling Herefords in NW Wisconsin and would like to know the nearest place where they sell better. The RWF calves and cows are selling for about 60% of what Black or BWF are going for. I am in the process of switching over to Black Angus and Limflex but want to limit my losses dispersing my Herefords. I am willing to take a days drive to get a better market price. Any suggestions?

GAOulu said:
I am losing my shirt selling Herefords in NW Wisconsin and would like to know the nearest place where they sell better. The RWF calves and cows are selling for about 60% of what Black or BWF are going for. I am in the process of switching over to Black Angus and Limflex but want to limit my losses dispersing my Herefords. I am willing to take a days drive to get a better market price. Any suggestions?

Do not disperse, get a good Black Angus bull (or however many you need) and you'll do fine with the bwf steers at market and the heifers will make fine replacements. Herefords are great mommas so keep what you've got.

Good luck and :welcome: to Cattle Today.

I agree with TT although I do it the other way around (hereford bull). Unless you just want to get rid of them I wouldn't sell them off when the color thing can be worked around.

Hereford cows sell OK in Perham, MN.
Hereford calves sell well in Aberdeen, SD.
Go west young man, if you are not willing to buy a black bull.

If you have a good herd of Hereford cows that are raising good calves, I would absolutely not sell them out. As others have said simply put a good Angus bull with them, those BWF calves are hard to beat.

Thanks everybody! I am planning on getting a black bull this spring but I am going to have another round of Hereford calves on the ground soon and need to know where I can sell them at a better price. I did have a couple BWF calves last year and they sold well at auction which was the final push I needed to part ways with my Hereford bull.

GAOulu said:
Thanks everybody! I am planning on getting a black bull this spring but I am going to have another round of Hereford calves on the ground soon and need to know where I can sell them at a better price. I did have a couple BWF calves last year and they sold well at auction which was the final push I needed to part ways with my Hereford bull.

We are in the same boat, we like the Hereford cows and have been using Hereford bulls to get replacements, then we have the bull calves and heifers we don't keep to sell. Our state association has got 2 Hereford influence sales a year that we usually try to sell them at, they commingle the calves according to size and type, they typically sell top of the market on those days, especially the larger groups. You might check with your state Hereford Association and see if there is anything like that offered there or maybe even one in a neighboring state if it isn't too far. If you have some pretty good heifer calves you may be able to sell them privately for a bit of a premium.

GAOulu Thanks everybody! I am planning on getting a black bull this spring but I am going to have another round of Hereford calves on the ground soon and need to know where I can sell them at a better price. I did have a couple BWF calves last year and they sold well at auction which was the final push I needed to part ways with my Hereford bull. [/quote said:
Good plan. Please contact me if you change your mind.
I may start a Hereford Rescue Herd for unappreciated cows. :cboy:

Latest posts