When to treat symptoms of pneumonia.

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
I have a calf about 2 months old. Heard her coughing a few days ago, noticed today snotty nose. No other symptoms. Should I take temp and administer antibiotics? I only have LA-300 but can get something else from my vet. We have had some really cold weather - lots or rain too so it's been really wet.

It's best to treat as soon as possible.
I try to watch them close and if I see them coughing or holding head down, not eating, lagging behind etc, pretty good sign that something's not right.
I would recommend getting something from a vet. Nuflor, Resflor, work fast. Draxxin is real good and lasts longer once administered but takes a bit longer to start having an effect.
I only use LA 300, for things like pinkeye, foot rot, topical injuries etc.

Resflor Gold contains Banamine in it.
Oh that's good. I'll see if my vet can get me some of that. I'm going to treat her asap tomorrow morning. She doesn't look bad at all just cough and snotty nose. Recovery is usually pretty quick after treatment correct?

Bannamine (flunixin meglumine) for cattle is supposed to be administered by IV according to the label but is injected into the muscle by some, Sub Q by some and orally by others. They also now make a pour on. that TC Ranch really likes. I'm not sure it matters. What matters is to get it and the antibiotic in the calf as soon as possible. If caught early, you can see improvement in as little as 3 or 4 hours.
I have had some luck with a three shot treatment. The antibiotic, Bannamine or a generic, plus a vitamin supplement with selenium that a local vet makes up. It rarely fails if administered early.

Bannamine (flunixin meglumine) for cattle is supposed to be administered by IV according to the label but is injected into the muscle by some, Sub Q by some and orally by others. They also now make a pour on. that TC Ranch really likes. I'm not sure it matters. What matters is to get it and the antibiotic in the calf as soon as possible. If caught early, you can see improvement in as little as 3 or 4 hours.
I have had some luck with a three shot treatment. The antibiotic, Bannamine or a generic, plus a vitamin supplement with selenium that a local vet makes up. It rarely fails if administered early.
I didn't know they had a pour on, that's really neat. I'm going to treat her first thing tomorrow. She seems fine other than the cough and snotty nose. Still perky!

F04051A3-CA6A-41A8-8A61-8D220FFCD21D.jpeg
1806D5C7-4214-49E5-85FA-04B2245D3C4D.jpeg
Nursing like a mad women this morning, and eating good. Still coughing up a storm. Waiting to hear from my vet. I want to treat her asap but I guess I'll have to wait until I hear back. I'm going to put a call into another local vet this morning.

The 1.1cc per 100lbs sounds better, what is the ketoprofen used for? I have yet to hear back from my vet. She is due to have a baby soon so I might have to call another vet.
Pain reliever & fever reducer, like Banamine. Draxxin and Draxxin KP is more expensive than Resflor Gold (or Nuflor in conjunction w/Banamine) but worth it IMO. There are now generics for Draxxin, might want to ask about them.

Latest posts