When 95% of my forage is new green rye grass

Help Support CattleToday:

CharleyCap

Reaction score
I just bought 4 yearling f1 angus/wagyu steers. For the moment I got them is s good size holding pen (to settle in ) with a roll of coastal hay and an auto feeder with pellets and a magnesium additive
Once I turn them out, they will have 20 acres of rye grass and very little other forage

My key question is is how to properly get them the right amount of minerals while they adjust to the green sappy rye

I blended 1 bag of magnesium with 9 bags the typical purina cow pellets .. I can set that feeder to how ever many pounds and feedings needed. I don't want want to over do it.

Just wondering what are the better techniques of keeping these steers property nourished with the right amount of magnesium? I am a little concerned about them getting too much of it

I just bought 4 yearling f1 angus/wagyu steers. For the moment I got them is s good size holding pen (to settle in ) with a roll of coastal hay and an auto feeder with pellets and a magnesium additive
Once I turn them out, they will have 20 acres of rye grass and very little other forage

My key question is is how to properly get them the right amount of minerals while they adjust to the green sappy rye

I blended 1 bag of magnesium with 9 bags the typical purina cow pellets .. I can set that feeder to how ever many pounds and feedings needed. I don't want want to over do it.

Just wondering what are the better techniques of keeping these steers property nourished with the right amount of magnesium? I am a little concerned about them getting too much of it
First off why do steers need added magnesium? Thats for cows just before and just after calving.

I'll be back at the ranch to see tomorrow but my hand scribbled receipt says 14N pellets ..I did rad the nutrition and It has no real measurable minerals (not enough to help when they very liquid cow pies as they adapt to the new diet) . And it had near zero magnesium or salts

I respectfully disagree. While it's true old cows with young calves are the most susceptible, hypomagnesemia can affect cattle of all ages. The internet says...
Grass tetany in the South is common mid-February thru mid-April.
Well i agree and disagree. In our forage the amount is sufficient for all animals except for possibly just before calving into early lactation.
I will start with high mag as soon as i finish the stockpile fescue. But only for cows.

Dunno know about cows, but a mammal is a mammal. Was talking with my doctor just two days ago, about taking double the amount recommended on the bottle, of magnesium, to help with muscle cramps. Told him I had read it a couple of months ago, tried i, t and it was working, She said " Well the thing about magnesium is you can't take too much, You will just flush any excess you can't use in the urine. So, shouldn't have to worry about feeding them too much.

That's what I was told about the CMPK, any excess is flushed out of their bodies.
Very unlikely to overdose if you follow instruction.

I respectfully disagree. While it's true old cows with young calves are the most susceptible, hypomagnesemia can affect cattle of all ages. The internet says...
Grass tetany in the South is common mid-February thru mid-April.
That is a good point that all of us should read. Thank you for posting it. Thats local so maybe i should reconsider.
Just looked at my forage test. It says magnesium is .26% of dry matter. Gotta check into the amount needed based on consumption.

Last edited:
Ok, smart people. If a cow is eating 30 lb of stockpile grass and its .26% magnesium, how many ounces of magnesium is she getting. I can't sifer it out. Like Jethro i guess.
Is it .79 oz? If so thats more than the .6oz recommend.
Wait, that's not 30 lb of dry matter. My forage test says 38.4% dry matter.
Help!!! Where is @TexasBred

Last edited:
CharleyCap could test his rye grass. Mixing magnesium and Purina Stock Grower sounds a bit excessive. I would refer you to a nutritionist... But I might just turn the steers out on rye grass with hi-mag mineral. Take a 1/2 pail of the Purina Stock Grower when you go for a visit.

Last edited:

Latest posts