What's the best "throw-out" seed?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ruark

Reaction score
The drought of the past few years has hit some native pastures pretty hard, even with the recent rains. Mine are doing OK, basically, but they developed a few "bare spots," say 40 X 60 feet, that are pretty much just bare dirt. I'm wondering if there is a good "throw-out" seed I can just throw over them by hand, to eventually come up and fill them in. I won't be able to fertilize, water, etc. and I realize it may be ahwhile before anything comes up (maybe the next time it rains for a week). Just anything would work, just so it's green grass to fill in those bare spots. Rye is probably good, and I'll probably put some out this fall, but that's just a cold weather grass. Any suggestions?

I'm not familiar with your area, so I can't suggest any particular species. But I would suggest lightly disking and covering the seed if at all possible. Without it, I would worry about birds getting most of your seed before they get a change to germinate.

M.Magis":1kfnhlq1 said:
I'm not familiar with your area, so I can't suggest any particular species. But I would suggest lightly disking and covering the seed if at all possible. Without it, I would worry about birds getting most of your seed before they get a change to germinate.

I broadcast Ryegrass seed last fall and just ran the harrow over it. Every evening the dove were feasting on it. This year I'll run a shallow disc over it to cover a little better.

In my opinion, it's a bit late in the year to try to plant most grasses. I've planted quite a few varieties of grass and the latest planting date I can recall is June 1st. I would wait a bit and plant rye grass this fall and figure out a game plan for next spring.

Also, are you wanting to keep native grasses or are you open to other options?

I don't plant any pasture seed after the end of april here I have not had good results and like was mentioned before I can't tell you what seed to go with but if you value your money at all and you are throwing seed out please lightly disc it in.

I'm closer to you than all the other response pu together....here is what I think. There isn't anything you can " throw out" 6 + months of the year around here in this current weather pattern. What does work with some tillage and rain is anything native ( read expensive seed other than Dunn turn me on to the idea of capturing free seed:) ). Or Sudan grass. Sudan seems to stick well here especially if we get even a little rain. If it sticks and we get some rain it blows up pretty good. If we ever get into some sort of a normal weather pattern I'm sprigging Tifton and a " native coastal" they sell. It's tough. The more cow **** I spread I feel the more hope I get but unless you can irrigate it's never going to be anything like some of the pics you see posted. Just my humble opinion.

Latest posts