What's hay worth?

Help Support CattleToday:

bandit80

Reaction score
Curious what hay is going for in your area. Good quality brome hay around me is about 40-50/ton. Brother and I have a huge pile of hay to sell. Advertised it at $35/bale for 1800lb cover edged net wrapped bales and sold only 50 to a guy who had bought from us in the past.

I know this about hay. It is too expensive when you need to buy, and too cheap when you have some to sell.

I have been selling rounds for about $130 per ton and small squares for $200 per ton but not very much of it this year. At the auctions it is going for the prices you mentioned.

If it were not for the trucking you could sell all you have in a hurry down here. I'm down to my last 2 bales. Between the drought last summer, leaving no stockpiled forage, and the rains w/cold, not allowing the normal clover and rye to grow, most are out of reserves. Fixing to turn mine into the recently leased hay meadows. There is rye and clover but it is really to early to turn them in.
Those that have hay to sell are asking $85 per roll. That's $170 per ton.

Last I heard around here, it was $75 for a 4 x 5 roll of coastal. I'm guessing that these rolls weigh about 800 pounds or so. This was a couple months ago.

I don't think there's any to be had around here now, at any price.

Good quality bremuda grass hay is going b/t $20-$25 around here. I just bought a load of mostly bremuda hay with net for $20.00 a bale. 4x5 bales out of a John Deere baler. I figure b/t 800 to 1000 lbs each. I hope I dont need anymore, everyone ive talked to has run out.

4X5 Bermuda roll are averaging $35 and there was alot of unfertilized bahia rolled up his year going from $20-25. Nothing is really moving right now and there is hay stacked up everywhere. Luckily I have just about sold all of mine, down to about 200 rolls to peddle.

4x6 bales of good quality fescue/orchardgrass/clover netwrapped is going for about 25 dollars here, loaded at the farms. Still alot of hay, but the winter weather has caused alot more hay to be fed than expected and alot of people lost their stockpiled fescue due to molding under the snow cover

Hay, as about anything you are trying to sell, is "worth" what a willing and able buyer is willing to pay for it.

And what a buyer is willing to pay will vary enormously based on many factors. Most importantly is the level of need and the available competition. After that quality comes in....etc.

Unfortunately, your cost of production is NOT one of those factors.

Doesn't matter if it is hay or donuts or shoes, the principles are the same.

There are a number of areas that need hay right now. Question is can you cover the trucking cost? Or if you just hold on to it what is the likely value in the future?

Good luck. Jim

I had many calls from Texas wanting hay, but most can't justify the shipping, some have buddies that haul freight into Memphis and haul hay back. I don't know what they charge for it but I'm sure they get a deal.

Latest posts