What should they bring

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve":3gs78rsj said:
Putting row crop into complex upland mixtures to extend my grazing season. Other option is to double down with drain tile - - but the world does not need more beans. Don't think for a minute that China is going to just forget about it...

Legumes - RC base w/ a touch of WC, BFT, and alfalfa. I use some branched root alfalfa due to heavy soils.
Grasses - meadow fescue base w/ a touch of reed canary or OG. A lot of brome and timothy used here traditionally, but I don't think they are great for grazing.
Forbs - chicory

A bit rich for beef cows, but I am increasing the number of yearlings going back to grass, and a meadow fescue/clover base mix stockpiles well.

Can you give more info on the meadow fescue you use please and the soil types it thrives on?

Stockpile to a grazer is standing forage grazed by cattle after the growing season ends. Usually created by not grazing after mid summer. Usually done to avoid the cost of baling and feeding forage... Stand ability, weather, stocking rate, and palatability are potential issues.

With low commodity prices and unusually heavy rains in many areas - - it should pencil out for most beef producers.

bball":1zyoohuy said:
Can you give more info on the meadow fescue you use please and the soil types it thrives on?

Likes moist locations. Most of our genetics originated in Europe. Some naturalized strains are now being commercialized. Not a silver bullet but it has its uses.

Much less common than tall fescue in the USA, which is higher yielding for DM, but TF does not generate as many # beef/acre in Wisconsin trials. *** Very high palatability can result in overgrazing MF when it is part of a mixed stand. ***

Barnenburg is the biggest MF supplier in my area. They have outstanding technical support. Give them a call.

Son of Butch said:
JHH said:
Got a couple bred heifers I THINK I am going to try and sell. Depends on what they bring.
What do in guys think they will bring? I know it' just depends but thought I would ask.

What happened with these girls?
IF you calved them out any pictures?

I sold them. Done ok at a special cattle sale. I am calving half sisters now.

Latest posts