What is gun worth 270 Higgins

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
I bought this off of a guy that was taking it to pawn because he needed some money. I did not need it but thought I would help him thinking he might buy it back latter , but don't think that will ever happen. I am thinking I would like to get me a .270 pump , just something I always wanted, and I have no use for this gun. It is a .207 J C Higgins mod,50 has a cheap Tasco scope, almost new synthetic stock . it has a Belgium made mouser action ,I have been told people buy them for the action but I don't know if that is true or not???
What do some of you people that deal in guns think would be a fair price for it??
he wanted 225.00 and that's what I gave may have been high or may have been cheap but that is what he wanted and that is what I gave.

The pawn shop probably would of only gave him $100 for it.The rifle is worth it as a hunting rifle and you could probably could make a $25-$150 profit off of it, if you can find someone looking for a good hunting rifle. JC Higgins aren't really collectors items and the synthetic stock would take that collector value away since the rifle came with a wooden stock. The FN action is definitely a strong action if your looking at building a rifle but around my parts, not too many folks building anything other than black AR type weapons.

The young man I bought it from is kin to my wife so I was trying to help him out, probably would have helped even if there was no gun involved, Thought he would want it back later but he has gotten married now and I don't know that deer hunting is very high on his list of things to do. I had even told him if he wanted to go with us deer hunting I would loan him the gun. I don't need it so was thinking about trading it of for something I might use. I have and old 270 rem that has been shot and killed so many deer I had to have 2'' cut off of the barrel to get it back to where it would hit half way good. I am thinking about putting it up and replacing it . Would never sell it to many memories but I think I might like to try a pump .270

Have you shot it? It might be a tack driver. If it has a nice action like you say I would keep it and roll on, maybe consider a new barrel. Synthetic stock makes it a nice carry gun. Don't know what the hunting is in OK where you are but I would think tree stands and field shots. We use a lot of pump guns here in VA but they are better for in the woods and brush. I don't dislike them but they don't shoot anything like a good bolt gun. Either way for what you got in it I don't see you not getting your money and a few dollars extra for it. Also just FYI most pump rifles kick like a mule and triggers are stout.

I've got a safe full of guns I've bought from kin and employees who needed some cash. I think ive got a Higgins in 30/06. And I IRC it's a shooter.
My recommendation would be to keep it. Steel is better than cash.

Latest posts