What do you think?[pic]

Help Support CattleToday:

ERNIBIGB

Reaction score
DSCF0005.jpg
My first try at posting pic.

Yes, I just brought him home friday night. Will soon put him with about 25 of our best "black" cows. Should get some good black baldie calves. We sell feeders and that is what our local buyers seem to prefer.

Nice bull, and even better barn, I sure wish I had one that size. and if it had a room to sleep in, I wouldn't have to share the dog house with my mutt when I spend to much at the cow sales.

Fine bull! Great hindquarters. Depending on the phenotype of your cows, I would suggest you retain his best heifers. Then the next breeding, AI them all to a high number Stabilizer composite! Give it some real thought before discarding the thought.

DOC HARRIS

Very nice animal.

Personally, I really like those curly coated beasts for the northern climes.

Does anyone know how hair type (curly/straight) is passed on (or not) genetically? Is it typical in certain lines of breeding or just a wildcard?

Take care.

As far as I know - which isn't far - it's like most other traits. Some will stamp it on their calves, others won't. We had an Angus bull with great hair, and every calf he threw had long thick hair like a wolf pup. Not curly stuff, just thick shag. Our Gelbvieh bulls of course didn't have much hair, and it shows in the heifers we kept back.

Of course the Galloway calves have had tremendous hair, even when crossed on the Gelbvieh F1's.

Good Hereford bull. Short marked, long, and thick. You know a bull is thick when you don't have to see a butt or head shot to be able to tell. I like the short marked bulls because, as you probably know, they have a much greater tendency to have red hooves, which are harder than white hooves. They give many fewer problems over time with "curling". Good luck with him, and if it turns out you don't need him, call me. ;-)

I always thought that hoof color observation was an old wive's tail. I'd heard that for years about horses also. I have cows that are still in the herd over 10 that have white hooves and haven't had a problem. In fact, the ones I've had over the years that HAVE had trouble have been dark colored. Possibly just my experience, of course.

CattleAnnie":2pjgxiju said:
Very nice animal.

Personally, I really like those curly coated beasts for the northern climes.

Does anyone know how hair type (curly/straight) is passed on (or not) genetically? Is it typical in certain lines of breeding or just a wildcard?

Take care.
CA- Absolutely every single trait, characterestic, tendency, physical appearance, color, shape, strength, weakness, - - - -EVERYTHING - - - - is DICTATED by the individual's Genetic Map - which is the compilation and combination of it's cumulative GENE SIGNATURE! Some of those genes are Dominant (which means THAT trait will be visually expressed in it's immediate progeny, - - depending on the genetic make-up of the other parent)) and some of those genes are Recessive (which means THAT trait will NOT be visually expressed in it's immediate progeny - - depending of the genetic make-up of the other parent). How the Dominate and Recessive Genes intermingle in the individual's own personal genetic "package" determines who, what , why, and how they are! There are 52 cards in a deck of cards. There are billions of genes in an individual's cumulative gene package! Shall we play "Gene Poker" with a few WILD genes thrown in just to make it interesting????? HELLO!!!

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts