What changed?

Help Support CattleToday:

Knew this guy, he wanted to hunt and have guns and all of that and his mother was against it so he moved out. He came home one day and she was in his living room with his guns out, yelling at him and telling him she disapproved. He asked her what the heck she was doing in his house and she said she let herself in. She'd let herself in a window. He had her trespassed and she was bawling about how can he do this to his mother. She had that control problem.

Some people...
Good for him..... there are limits.... and so many parents are helicopter parents to the Nth degree... especially mothers. And no, I was not one, I had a set of rules.... both son and I followed them. I got divorced when he was 7 and when he was with me there were certain things you did... left a note on the kitchen table where he was going to be and a phone number if it was not one of his regular places... I did the same due to crazy work hours... had a curfew according to his age... COMMON COURTESY for the other person... this was before cell phones.....NO DRINKING and DRIVING or I would "KILL HIM" after whatever happened if he got stopped by a cop.... Speeding could mean loss of license on top of him paying any/all tickets costs etc....
Luckily he was too cheap to be much of a drinker and he was always the biggest, so was the designated driver because he could have one or 2 and then switch to soda, and it would not show up in his system... and drugs were not a concern,,,, again, he was too tight with his money...and he did little dating until he was in his 20's anyway....
I was lucky in many ways.

I agree with the hiring out your kids part. Work and wholesome activity has it's own rewards. Service to others is even better.
BTW-Calling Whataburger junk food is near heresy around when I live. My grandmother, back in the 60's when she was in her late 70's, used to say a hamburger was nearly the perfect food. She said you have your meat, bread, cheese, and salad right there in one place.
oh I don't have a problem with whataburger, but trying to figure out what those parent's problem was, that was all I could think of.

I have run in to a situation twice recently that has me wondering what is going on.

My son is 16 but has not finished all his stuff to get a DL yet. He and several of his buddies were in summer school this summer. They had to get there about 8 and would get out around 11:30. One buddy had a job past us so I asked him if he minded dropping him off on his was. It iss 2 miles off his route, one way, 4 total. Those boys loved grabbing Whataburger for lunch when they get out so I told my son to buy his lunch for dropping him off. Teenagers get double meats, cokes, mega-sized, etc... as they should. That runs about $10-12. It seemed like a fair deal to me. His parents cut it off and said he couldn't.

Yesterday my son and another friend wanted to go to the near by larger town to eat and go to movies and what ever else. That friend has actually been working with my son painting a fence on a job we lined up for them. $12/ hr to scrape and paint. I asked my son if they wanted to pick some parts up for me in town since they were there. I told that kid I would pay him for his time and mileage. I thought it was good experience for them plus saved me a trip. They picked up on item then his parents said no more and they came back.

What am I missing here? I am not questioning another parents choices here at all. Their kids, there cars, their rules... no questions asked.

When I grew up we got to drive if we did things for people. Meaning my parents or my friends parents would send us on errands. You can take the truck if you go feed cows for me. If yall are going that way, bring me x, y ,z. We were constantly helping out. Yall can party this evening but need to knock out these things first. I remember going and working cattle or building fence with friends so they could get done faster and would could go out. Just 2 weeks ago some friends of mine, dad retired and they threw a big party. I was there at 8am to help cook and set up even though the party started at 3. Their dad did a ton for us with boats and toys because they lived on the lake. We always invested our sweat equity. He would have a few limbs to trim or some thing to haul off when we came to play but it was always a more than fair deal to us.

On the flip side, I know some of the dads of my friends have put in a good word for me with other people for jobs. I worked with 2 of them actually in O&G. Thats the most basic form of networking, early on, you can do, IMO.

I feel for these kids because their parents don't seem to be allowing that opportunity. Ive heard both those parents talk about they hope they kids go to college, find jobs, etc. What has changed that these parents feel this way towards working? My parents would literally hire us out with out asking us. We tried to lock the door and hide one time and my parents told the guy where the key was and to just go in and get us. :LOL:

Last paragraph, is it a class issue?

As a follow up I did run in to one parent. Apparently grandmaw gave the ok for the boys to go to town for pizza. Mom did not agree so when she found out she told them to head back to the ranch.

That got me really wondering about the other deal so I asked my son about it. He said the other buddy fessed up a couple days later because he wasn't meeting them any more after school. It sounded like he was farting around eating, dropping friends off, etc and was late for work multiple times. His parents cut it all off and told him no more until he can get to work on time.

Both make a lot of sense now in hind sight. I probably should not have worried about it but we have had very good luck working together to wrangle these boys since they were pretty young. I wanted to be sure not jeopardize that.

As a follow up I did run in to one parent. Apparently grandmaw gave the ok for the boys to go to town for pizza. Mom did not agree so when she found out she told them to head back to the ranch.

That got me really wondering about the other deal so I asked my son about it. He said the other buddy fessed up a couple days later because he wasn't meeting them any more after school. It sounded like he was farting around eating, dropping friends off, etc and was late for work multiple times. His parents cut it all off and told him no more until he can get to work on time.

Both make a lot of sense now in hind sight. I probably should not have worried about it but we have had very good luck working together to wrangle these boys since they were pretty young. I wanted to be sure not jeopardize that.
You handled that really well. If more people would just have a chat and see whats going on so they understand like you have the world would be a better place.

IMO is that it's not you or the friends of your son. Its the SELF, All about me mentally of our society today. It's a heart problem. We're all spoiled. We have all come to be a bunch of individuals no longer United. Sad.
Exactly! As a society we are moving more and more towards self centeredness and the concept of helping or accommodating others is being lost.

In high school I had an 81 Chevy pickup. A buddy and I were riding around town and thought it would be hilarious to start mooning people. He got a couple of folks, and then decided to moon the lady behind us. Both of us idiots didn't realize that his a$$ was right above the plate. How stupid can you get? Well, this lady got all excited and flagged down a cop, told him all about it, and tried to get us in trouble. Cop showed up at my house to talk to me about it, and my mom let loose. He was there to basically say "Stop being stupid, don't do it again" but got quite the earful. His face said "I'm too old for this sh_T" and he left. At the other kid's house it was a different story. I was not allowed to drive him around after that.

I have actually never sat in jail. Got real close several times but we had no issue out running cops. Looking back it was not real smart

We were driving through town farting around one night on some dirt bikes and sport atvs. My cousin decided to do donuts in front of the jail/ sheriffs office. We thought it was funny because we knew we could out run the cops.

They didn't chase us for long and decided to just go straight to my cousins house. My aunt was there and they started asking her where her sons were, my cousins. She ripped them for questioning her and all kinds of stuff. Told them we were out at a friends place. Then basically ran them off the property.

Right after that she called my parents and all our phones blew up. My parents were reasonable as long as we didnt lie to them. We had driven to a friends place to hide out and continue the party. My dad came and picked us all up in my mom's Tahoe and distributed us to our houses. My dad held all the keys for like 2 weeks. All the parents were in on it. 😄

Cops showed up several times at our houses for the next week. Our parents actually faught them off but they did take it out on us for those two weeks. When my uncle got home him and my dad took turns working the $h!t out of us. We didn't do it again I can assure you.

Put me in the list of having seen the Big House iron bars closed behind me. ONCE!1967 17 yrs old. :rolleyes:
Driving back the 8 miles from town to home, got pulled over in a POS 6 cyl automatic with a gazillion miles that wouldn't get out of it's own way former Hou city police car (blue & white with the PD emblem just razor scraped off the doors) . Allegedly speeding (5 miles over the 45 mile speed limit.) Went to get my lic out for the officer and realized I had left my wallet behind at home.
He took me to Baytown jail because I had no proof of ID or lic. (they did that a lot, to teach younguns a 'life lesson' I suppose) Had to get my friends' mom to post bail, whereupon I got my driv license from home, presented it within a hour, & the officer dropped the charge on the spot.
Funny now, but my parents sure didn't thinks so at the time. (they were up at the farm at the time and no cellphones back then so I couldn't call them)

:ROFLMAO: :LOL:
I spent a lifetime in Baytown one year(1976). First time away from the desert of southern New Mexico. I thought I was being drowned. Actually, it was one of the driest years for them. My brother ended up marrying a girl from there. She's a peach. Still don't like the town.

Latest posts