Welcome Tropical Storm Harvey

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":2i37isv1 said:
I can handle all the crap that goes with a storm.
The love bugs are what are about to drive me insane.
Imagine army worms will soon follow....

Wait a week after all that prairie country sits under water. This ain't nothing. It's get so bad you can just hear the constant high pitched hum at night. I've been in Sinton and Refugio when they were just covering your truck at night. You could put a flashlight to the window and see thousands. You didn't dare get out.

Finally out to assess the property today. Only knocked down a bunch of trees, the only ones I have to cut are the ones blocking the road and deer feeders. Luckily nothing hit the fence. It actually knocked down a lot of dead trees that were still standing from the major drought years ago. My buddy had his house in Houston under 4 foot of water. I can't imagine what he is feeling. He has actually moved to his sisters and enrolled his kids in another school district. The rebuild of Houston is going to be a long process.

Caustic Burno":f7xp91x6 said:
I can handle all the crap that goes with a storm.
The love bugs are what are about to drive me insane.

CB I've also heard them called telephone bugs.....they just say hello and hang up. :lol2: :lol2: :hide:

We got what was left of Harvey today. 7'' of rain and 40mph wind it blew down 50 acres of my tobacco last night. Very expensive loss for me. Yet nothing compared to those in Texas I feel for you and prayers sent your way.

littletom":gswtq4m7 said:
We got what was left of Harvey today. 7'' of rain and 40mph wind it blew down 50 acres of my tobacco last night. Very expensive loss for me. Yet nothing compared to those in Texas I feel for you and prayers sent your way.

I'm in the northern part of the state littletom and we didn't get near what they originally called for. I hope your crop was insured.

We got word at the plant about it from our safety department 12 hours before they announced it. We started calling family and friends and blasting the county officials on facebook. No offence to those coming to help but now what little resources like gas and food is being taken up by people from out of state. I sat in line for 45 min for gas yesterday and 1 out of 3 license plates were from other states. They need drop off points for food and water outside the effected area. I work with guys who are national guard and they have been sending people away. As far as I'm concerned the local governments screwed up big time . They have shut down interstates and hwys that don't habe water over them.

Craig Miller":2olv3uoy said:

Well, I am on the East Fork San Jacinto, and I guess all things considered, I didn't lose, but can't really claim I 'won' either. God apparently had pity on an old fool and in my case, fixed the fight.

JSCATTLE":1ez34ylf said:
We got word at the plant about it from our safety department 12 hours before they announced it. We started calling family and friends and blasting the county officials on facebook. No offence to those coming to help but now what little resources like gas and food is being taken up by people from out of state. I sat in line for 45 min for gas yesterday and 1 out of 3 license plates were from other states. They need drop off points for food and water outside the effected area. I work with guys who are national guard and they have been sending people away. As far as I'm concerned the local governments screwed up big time . They have shut down interstates and hwys that don't habe water over them.

We have been discussing that also. I'm ready for them to back every one up to like Halletsville, Pleasanton, etc. If your DL is not an address in the area or your not construction... No entry.

We can't get back on our feet because every one is buying out our businesses and taking it closer to the coast.

They delivered fuel a little before 7 am this morning... in 1.5 hrs it was gone. There are lines of cars going to the coast in the morning and lines coming out. A lot are little 4 door cars with one or two peolle. WTF are they doing in there? :x

Brute 23":6dc5ji4l said:
A lot are little 4 door cars with one or two peolle. WTF are they doing in there? :x

Sight seeing. When we were hit by the tornadoes there was a constant stream of people just there to take pictures. The national guard put a curfew in place. They were blocking all entrances to town. They stopped every car and asked where they were going and why. It's pretty sorry to go somewhere like that to gawk. So many people the real help couldn't get in or move around once they did.

I had a business related trip to Conroe this past Tuesday, but cancelled due the conditions forecast; weather and wide spread panic. I didn't want to interrupt local efforts or resources.
The morning after Katrina, I left for Charleston SC. to disassemble and haul an aircraft back home. We had a couple 30 gallon and one 15 gallon barrels we use to drain the fuel out of the aircraft, but after listening to the news we filled them with diesel before we left home. We also didn't pass up an opportunity to fuel up. We chose the northern route, but by the time we reached Asheville (I think it was Asheville), there was no diesel available on the interstate or major highways. I couldn't believe there would be a fuel shortage near the east coast. We made it in and out of Charleston without using our reserves in the barrels, but we did almost exhaust that supply before we reached middle Tennessee and decided to start taking rural roads. I didn't want to do that again. Conroe can wait.

Went to Houston yesterday to clean out/salvage stuff from my apartment. We were lucky, only about 2 feet of water. We lost some furniture, a small freezer full of stuff, and anything within 3 feet of the floor. The flood waters floated our refrigerator up and dumped it on its back, knocked over a bunch of other things as well.

We were very blessed as we have another place to live and we just lost "stuff", no lives.

My heart goes out to those that are in need. And a big thank you to all that have helped those less fortunate.

We got power back to town yesterday evening people are coming from everywhere looking for supplies.
When the power gets back on things will calm down, could be awhile it was a month here after Rita.
Thank the Lord it wasn't
Rita that came ashore and pulled
this Harvey stuff. Rita is the most intense hurricane in Gulf ever.

Latest posts