Weather

Help Support CattleToday:

hillrancher":zj19ai6w said:
We have had it all today,snow,hail sleet and rain with very little ice build up.
We've had the sleet and freezing rain. Freezing rain is less then a 1/4 inch but the sleet is about 2 inches.

Caustic Burno":2j7q63b0 said:
Man we are getting hammered.
I haven't seen rain like this since 1999 .

the first part of 99 was wet for us, then the state caught fire. That was the last time weather was normal around here.

LRTX1":26sc2zjp said:
Caustic Burno":26sc2zjp said:

the first part of 99 was wet for us, then the state caught fire. That was the last time weather was normal around here.

Good Friday of 99 we got 13 inches in two and half hour's blew every pond and lake dam in this part of the world.
Branch that run's through my place is about six foot wide and six inches deep looked like the Trinty River.
Had water mark's eight foot high on the tree's in the bottom.
Checked my gauge I got 4 1/4" in an hour that is coming down brother.

LRTX1":17n9swco said:
Caustic Burno":17n9swco said:

That was 98. Fires came right across the ranch east of me and got stopped 20 yds from my line.
Before that you could set your watch by the sea breeze storms. 2pm. Everyday.
You're right, hasn't been the same since then

Thats agreat way to get hammerd.. with rain.. I think we have had almost 4" since this early morning. And that was on top of about 2" of snow. Funny now it was raining, and the snow was still on the ground. .

Red Bull Breeder":3q59ji8p said:
CB you live in a dang rain forest,quit your whinning.

I do live in a rain forest and we very rarely get rain that heavy in that short of a period of time. Generally a half inch a day every dang day.......

hooknline":18j72vwc said:
LRTX1":18j72vwc said:
Caustic Burno":18j72vwc said:

That was 98. Fires came right across the ranch east of me and got stopped 20 yds from my line.
Before that you could set your watch by the sea breeze storms. 2pm. Everyday.
You're right, hasn't been the same since then

I guess your right. Has been a few beers ago.

Red Bull Breeder":2tijpkep said:

You haven't seen my driveway. I have wore a 77 Massey out pulling those rock's back up this hill.
I guess I should look at it as job security, Mrs. will have to keep cooking bisquit's if she want's out.

Dave":pzl5lki6 said:
Red Bull Breeder":pzl5lki6 said:

I do live in a rain forest and we very rarely get rain that heavy in that short of a period of time. Generally a half inch a day every dang day.......

Dave it rain's harder here than anyplace I have ever seen, I guess we just get the right combination of moisture off the gulf collideing with the front's. I parked the tractor in front of the house 40 or 50 yards one time (99) and you couldn't see it. The only thing I could think to compare it to is a white out they talk about on TV. Not to mention the fog got lost in my neighbor's pasture one night, and knew where I was.

Dave it just ain't the same. You got to put in a couple of summers and winter in East Texas to get a feel for it. I worked work over rigs up and down both sides of the Sabine river for a while. Planted pine trees all over the place down there for 4or5 winters. Its a heck of a place!

About the same here as it is at CB's neck of the woods--maybe not quite as bad. Looks like we get a little break today, but the last 3 days has been downpour after downpour.

I disked my garden up 2 weeks ago--wished I hadn't now--it's a mudhole. Gonna be an interesting year I think.
Last time I looked tho, East Texas is the only part of the state not still in drought.

Caustic Burno":1kq2v8uj said:
Dave":1kq2v8uj said:
Red Bull Breeder":1kq2v8uj said:

Dave it rain's harder here than anyplace I have ever seen, I guess we just get the right combination of moisture off the gulf collideing with the front's. I parked the tractor in front of the house 40 or 50 yards one time (99) and you couldn't see it. The only thing I could think to compare it to is a white out they talk about on TV. Not to mention the fog got lost in my neighbor's pasture one night, and knew where I was.

I do understand. We both get about the same amount of average annual rainfall. What you get that I don't is these big gully washers. If we get more than 2 or 3 inches a day for two days in a row we are flooding big time. This country has too much up and down and it all runs off. I am in about the driest point along the coast. To the north and south there are mountains and hills that stop the storms and they get a lot more rainfall than I do. Standing in my yard on a clear day you can see places that get 100+ inches per year. It is not a very long drive to places that get 200 inches per year. And about 60 miles by road there is a place that is in the Guiness BooK of Records for the most rain fall in a short period of time (6, 12, 24 ? I can't remeber the time period).

Nobody in the US has beat this record for rainfall in the US.
I was there and you don't want to trust me.
The record for the largest 24-hour rainfall in the continental United States.
On July 25-26, 1979, Tropical Storm Claudette dropped 43 inches of rain on Alvin and the surrounding Brazoria County countryside, according to the National Weather Service.

Caustic thank you for sharing your rain with me but really you could have kept it.... We had sleet this morning and tons of rain since noon and still raining and supposed to turn back into sleet that can amount to 1 inch tonight. Can you send me the rain in april - july please when my planting is done ?

skyhightree1":2f6z4mja said:
Caustic thank you for sharing your rain with me but really you could have kept it.... We had sleet this morning and tons of rain since noon and still raining and supposed to turn back into sleet that can amount to 1 inch tonight. Can you send me the rain in april - july please when my planting is done ?

That's the real problem here got to ake what and when we get it.

Latest posts