Weaned a whopper

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
Weaned a calf today, he weighed 813 pounds. Out of Springfield Ramesses an ABS bull. Heaviest calf I have ever weaned. Here are some pics AAA# 19391143 https://postimg.cc/gallery/2xdotm4vo.

Honestly looked bigger than that! I weaned my recoded last year at 801 off a first calf heifer.

Richnm said:
Unlimited hay mainly horse quality alfalfa

Your feed appears to be a bit too hot. Look at his front feet, they are beginning to out grow his age and with his claw set it could be a really big issue for him down the road. From your picture it looks like he has a unusually large head, but the picture is taken from an angle that isn't flattering. Kudos for getting a bull to 800 lbs at weaning.

CreekAngus said:
Richnm said:

Your feed appears to be a bit too hot. Look at his front feet, they are beginning to out grow his age and with his claw set it could be a really big issue for him down the road. From your picture it looks like he has a unusually large head, but the picture is taken from an angle that isn't flattering. Kudos for getting a bull to 800 lbs at weaning.

Excellent observation on the feet.

CreekAngus said:
Richnm said:

Is to much protein not good? Should I use more energy type feed for calves ie. wheat , triticale ? I noticed his feet also.

I noticed he had hot feet as well. I've personally never had a calf come to the weaning pen with hot feet. In my younger days, I fed a lot of corn after weaning, and had my fair share then.

Richnm said:
CreekAngus said:
Richnm said:

Is to much protein not good? Should I use more energy type feed for calves ie. wheat , triticale ? I noticed his feet also.

Excess protein is really rough on the feet, it's one reason dairy's have the foot trimmer out every month. Mix wheat straw into the alfalfa or completely switch out to grass hay. My Dad who operated in a very similar environment like you, had to cut his grass/alfalfa with wheat straw. In your part of the world, irrigated grass hay has all the protein a cow or bull needs. Here, where our grass hay is lacking, I put my bulls on a 75/25 ration hay to alfalfa and I feed them 5lbs a day of 75/25 ration of grass and distiller grain pellets and whole corn. When they get close to their year mark, the grain goes away, alfalfa is replaced with protein tub (only 17%) and they will be sold at 15 months. I don't want to sell a bull that is going to fall apart, because the new owner doesn't feed as we do. At the same time, I don't want to runt my bulls.

Richnm said:
CreekAngus said:
Richnm said:

And Richnm, don't ever be afraid to adjust on the fly. I don't know what your plans are for this bull or your cattle. We retain heifers and develop the bulls for sale. Last year we weaned off a 810lb heifer, she went on a different program than the others, she got zero supplementation, only grass hay and has developed nicely. Typically we supplement heifers, even after their first calf. We are running a small herd and have the ability to sort and feed like that. Not everyone can or is willing. As you go along you will adapt to things you want to adapt and cull the one's who you don't want to adapt to. A lot of folks on CT have a lot of wisdom to impart on raising up stock.

Rich

Too much available protein tends to become toxic (acidosis) and it manifests itself by causing inflammation in the feet. Specifically, laminitis.

As you and I discussed via text, I would use your lower quality hay for cattle. If your lower quality hay is still too rich, don't provide it on a free choice basis.

As for grain formulated feeds, don't get too far in the opposite direction toward energy (carbohydrates) or they will become over conditioned. A good protein level is 16 % with high levels of fiber. I have been talking with David Gray, the nutritionist with Southern States. He educated me on the above information. This winter I am going to start my calves on a feed that he formulated. It is more than just feed. It has yeast, probiotics and vitamins.

Here is the concept he gave me: feed your seedstock so they achieve their maximum genetic potential without harm or adding too much fat. If you do that, your cattle will be at their optimum.

CreekAngus said:
Richnm said:

You're right on but this guy doesn't listen to anybody. This one is ruined already.

Richnm said:

Feeding unlimited "horse quality" alfalfa should actually reduce the incidence of rumen acidosis. The problems isn't excess protein. I'm thinking this young man spent most of his time at a creep feeder sucking down huge amounts of commercial feed loaded with grain creating the acidic environment that causes the "long toes". You can trim those but in extreme cases they will just grow back. Might make good freezer beef though.

Richnm said:
https://vimeo.com/358375915 This is the quality of alfalfa he ate.

Rich. I think you said the bull pictured in the original post was given alfalfa, free choice. The alfalfa you got here is excellent. You should have it tested. The leaves have stayed on so it could be in the 20 or higher percent range for protein. That is very rich.

BTW: to be clear. Was the bull also supplemented with feed?