Visiting Lexington KY/Nashville TN area

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
I'm making a brief trip with a friend to the SE US this summer for a sibling's wedding. Thought I'd come into town a few days early and travel to see the area. I like the western US and don't anticipating making a return trip to the southern US in the near future. So, on this one-time trip to the south, any suggestions on things I should see, places I should visit, can't-visit-the-state-and-not-see-this sights? I think we're going to tour some of the race horse farms in Lexington, and likely visit a few of the huge veterinary clinics there (can't be a DVM student and not see the vet clinics, right?). What else is worth seeing (horse/cow related or not)? Thanks!

Of course Nashville is all about country music. If you are a fan it is the mecca. There is the Grand Ol' Opry (a must see), Country Music Hall of Fame, 2nd Avenue (music Row), Bluebird Café and the list goes on and on. One of the few places, especially in the Franklin / Brentwood area, that you will see music mega-stars at the grocery store and nobody cares. I saw Vince Gill and Amy Grant in Kroger one day shopping as normal people. There is the General Jackson showboat. It is an 1860's type paddle wheel boat with dinner and a show that goes through downtown Nashville on the Cumberland River. If you like horses there is always something going on in Shelbyville, TN about an hour south of Nashville. It is the walking horse capital of the world. Lots of big $ horse farms all around that area. Bell Buckle, TN has a very Mayberryish look and feel with lots of antique shops and live music at the local café. Some big names show up periodically and give and impromptu jam session. Nashville is a beautiful city with friendly people. Just about everybody that visits says they will come back again.

I agree with Hoss on Nashville. My son is there and visits I have made to Nashville confirm what Hoss said. In Lexington, you must see the horse farms. They are the top of the food chain when it comes to farms. The horses live better than some people. I would suggest just driving through the country in the Lexington area. Take a ride along highway 27. The stone fences you will see along the road sides represent a time now gone never the likes of which will be seen again. The land itself is what is so beautiful. If you come in May, you will see at one of the most beautiful times.

Milkmaid,

I second Hoss' recommendation of the Grand Ole Opry, plus, the adjacent Opry Land Hotel is magnificent. It's fairly pricey to stay in, but the atria throughout the hotel are breathtaking. The restaurants on the various plaza levels are delightful. The premier country radio station, WSM, has a broadcast studio in the hotel. All in all, it's just a beautiful edifice.

I hope that you have a delightful time in Nashville. PS. the traffic is kind of nasty at certain times, so bring your bottle of patience with you.

Tom in TN

There are some top notch horse vet clinics in Lexington. The Ky Horse Park is pretty good if you are into horses. I grew up in that area and if I ever had to move back to the city it would be there. In between Lexington and Nashville there is quote a bit. Mammoth Cave area if you are into that kinda of stuff, Bowling Green has the Corvette plant you can tour and the Corvette Museum.

Agree with tom4018, Lexington-Nashville covers a lot! Hope you enjoy you time here.

Thanks for the suggestions! Mammoth Cave looks pretty neat and would actually be on the way. I toured a cave in Ireland last year but it wasn't anywhere near that size. In terms of horse farms, I think we'll try to get to Three Chimmneys, Haygard, Gainesway, Winstar, Keeneland, and KESMARC.... whew that looks like a lot when I write it out, but it doesn't look that bad on an Excel sheet. lol. Any other suggestions? I really enjoy country music.... some artists much more than others.... I like country swing dancing more than concerts though. Google wasn't real helpful; there's either not many good venues for that or else I can't find them. (?) The General Jackson showboat looks like a lot of fun. I'll put on the the "hopefully" list and see what happens. Thanks again! Feel free to add more suggestions if there's anything else I should see. I *think* there's still room on the schedule. ;-)

milkmaid":x3y33asq said:
Thanks for the suggestions! Mammoth Cave looks pretty neat and would actually be on the way. I toured a cave in Ireland last year but it wasn't anywhere near that size. In terms of horse farms, I think we'll try to get to Three Chimmneys, Haygard, Gainesway, Winstar, Keeneland, and KESMARC.... whew that looks like a lot when I write it out, but it doesn't look that bad on an Excel sheet. lol. Any other suggestions? I really enjoy country music.... some artists much more than others.... I like country swing dancing more than concerts though. Google wasn't real helpful; there's either not many good venues for that or else I can't find them. (?) The General Jackson showboat looks like a lot of fun. I'll put on the the "hopefully" list and see what happens. Thanks again! Feel free to add more suggestions if there's anything else I should see. I *think* there's still room on the schedule. ;-)
Google The Wildhorse Saloon in downtown Nashville. It is a major attraction. Large saloon with lots of dance nights etc. There is also live performances by signed artists promoting new CD's and the like.

Latest posts