Vetch

Help Support CattleToday:

Named'em Tamed'em

Reaction score
Finally got garden areas tilled and vetch seeded in, the wife swears by it. Does anyone else use a cover crop on their garden area? I found it easier to mow or weedeat before I till it in in the spring.

WHEN i GARDENED... I always put a cover crop on mine and I love vetch as a cover...builds the soil and puts a good bit of nitrogen and organic matter in the soil...I usually put a little of some type of small grain as well to give the vetch something to climb in the spring.

Named'em Tamed'em":1isjjvj4 said:
Finally got garden areas tilled and vetch seeded in, the wife swears by it. Does anyone else use a cover crop on their garden area? I found it easier to mow or weedeat before I till it in in the spring.
I like to use a cover crop. Last year I used ryegrass. That was a mistake, the root clumps were a huge nuisance trying to work the soil and plant in the springtime. I recommend do not use ryegrass. Sorry, no experience with vetch, but it sounds good from what you and pdf are saying.

Named'em Tamed'em":32345xyj said:
Vetch might be a generic term, it has a multitude of different seeds. One of them is a rye grass, it gives me the most trouble. But the boss insists we do it.

No, Vetch is an actual species not a generic term. Rye grass is definitely not Vetch. You are apparently getting a mix that someone is referring to as Vetch. Vetch itself is a great cover crop. But be warned never let it good to seed or you will be fighting it as a weed for years.

Named'em Tamed'em":2iof5lxm said:
Vetch might be a generic term, it has a multitude of different seeds. One of them is a rye grass, it gives me the most trouble. But the boss insists we do it.
Vetch is worlds different from ryegrass. It grows wild here, never planted any myself.

This year I have been time poor and have tried strip tilling my vegetable garden.

I plant 2 rows of corn 30 inch row spacing and mulch the garden. Then I get the hedge shear and mow the finished corn crop to ground level move my rows left 4 inches shovel dig a row plant say broccoli or peas or broad beans and mulch again.

It's been fun, I have improved my soil and saved on hard work digging. Seems to work ok.

vetch is a great cover crop, there are a couple different ones, some are winter hardy which makes them good to plant late in the year to get a good crop the following year, others are annuals.

I have some of it growing around the farm.. wouldn't call it a weed, cows love it, it's fine in hay as long as you don't have too much

Latest posts