Vermeer 5400 vs 5410

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
What's the difference between a 5400 and 5410 Vermeer roller? Looking to upgrade to a newer roller. Going to go with just a string tie and not net wrap beacUse we store all our hay in the barn and don't really sell much hay.

pricefarm":3jjjmrjk said:
What's the difference between a 5400 and 5410 Vermeer roller? Looking to upgrade to a newer roller. Going to go with just a string tie and not net wrap beacUse we store all our hay in the barn and don't really sell much hay.

I have had both the 5410 is hands down the best. Looking to buy new look at the 5420. Net is the best bet even storing in the barn. I will never have another baler without net wrap. Net easy easier to take off of the bale when feeding. I can find the end and have the net unwrapped before you can get the gloves off and the pocket knife opened.

The 5410 has a better tying system and better belts but I don't like where the rolls of string set and block your view of the bale forming.

We have a 5410 and to me it is the second best piece of equipment we own (compared to the disc mower coming from a sicle mower lineage). I had a couple of different brands and was not happy. So I did some research (plus went to watch some people bale with them) and found the best baler on the market-my opinion. To me the difference is the 5410 is a little better than the 5400. Agreed it has a better belt setup, a better option to tie or the availability to netwrap, and the bale ramps are nice. To me the best option is the ability to run on a smaller tractor. We run a Ford 3210 (38hp) and it runs with no problem, a little slower on a hill, but does not stress the tractor like the other brands. Gathers up or swallows up hay like no other. Still able to see the bale building above the string box (not as easy as some).
The only problems we have had that are normal with round balers.
1. Bearing on top roller. (found at dealer but also found local bearing place with lower price).
2. Broken Belts ( Bought replacement from EXCEL- best price for quality belt- fun to lean to run & lace).
MY dad (who is hard to change from older methods) loves this baler. Made our haying life not a dread but an enjoyment.

We have a 5410 and love it! I would get the net wrap if you can, you wont be sorry.You can select the no of wraps on the monitor and it loads really easy. You can always go to twine by just a push of a button. We had an older JD 435 and there is no comparison. Looked at a 5400 before we got this one and it's a lot more complicated to me.

Latest posts