Vegan Friday in NYC Schools

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
I hope this does not catch on. I bet more kids start brown bagging lunch. This is not good for the beef business.

In keeping with Mayor Eric Adams' focus on fitness, the nation's largest school system will serve vegan-only meals every Friday starting this week throughout the academic year.​
The dietary practice — which disallows meat and dairy — will scrap staples like mac and cheese and replace them with veggie tacos and other plant-based dishes, the Department of Education said Thursday.​
The agency had already implemented a meat ban on Mondays and Fridays meals before expanding its campaign to target dairy.​

Where my kids went to school it was KFC, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut and stuff like that.

I had the lunch ladies with hair nets cooking and serving real food. We had a hamburger line or the regular lunch line.

Where my kids went to school it was KFC, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut and stuff like that.

I had the lunch ladies with hair nets cooking and serving real food. We had a hamburger line or the regular lunch line.
I remember pretty much the same. Although I don't consider most of the processed stuff we where served real food. Pizza, Mac and cheese any cheese served was American type processed stuff. Not much different than the fast food.

We just ate whatever there was. we had hamburgers on Friday's. It was the size of a Krystal burger with no toppings.

When I was in school, we had 3 lines in high school, #1 homecooked meals, #2 hot dogs and hamburgers daily and #3 soup and salad daily, all was great food. In elementary we had great home cooked food as well. Now the school menu is chicken nuggets (ground chicken parts), pizza, crispitos, steak fingers ( not steak like at all), breaded chicken sandwich (ground chicken parts), soy burgers, rarely is it home cooked type food. Breakfast is generally poptarts,cereal bars or something of the sort. Almost all carbs and sugars and heavily processed. I asked the cafeteria manager where I work why they don't cook more, she said the kids won't hardly eat home cooked food, they throw most of it away. It's the fast food generation and it's their parents' fault. I think that's why we see so many problems with kids now, from emotional to physical problems, they eat junk constantly.

I hope this does not catch on. I bet more kids start brown bagging lunch. This is not good for the beef business.

In keeping with Mayor Eric Adams' focus on fitness, the nation's largest school system will serve vegan-only meals every Friday starting this week throughout the academic year.​
The dietary practice — which disallows meat and dairy — will scrap staples like mac and cheese and replace them with veggie tacos and other plant-based dishes, the Department of Education said Thursday.​
The agency had already implemented a meat ban on Mondays and Fridays meals before expanding its campaign to target dairy.​
Adams said he was the "Biden of Brooklyn". So they're in for a ride..

When I went to school lunch was what ever Mom put in the brown bag. There was school lunch available but it cost something like 35 cents. My folks weren't about to pay 35 cents for lunch. I got a sandwich, a couple cookies and a piece of fruit 99% of the time. To this day I can't even stand the sight of an egg salad sandwich.

When I was in school it was squares of pizza, and those crinkle cut French fries almost ever day. Ever once in a while it would be something different but none of it was any good. I figure it was the cheapest lowest quality frozen, canned bulk food that could be found.
I've always loved milk, but the school managed to turn kids against it in the little cartons. By the time it sit out and got warm it was awful. We either got chocolate milk if available or the processed fake orange drink.
I'd hate to think how bad the school version of the vegan crap would be. In a positive note it just might backfire on them lefties and turn a whole bunch of kids against that vegan garbage.

Last edited:
If I had kids in that school they would get a brown bag with the biggest roast beef sandwich in their lunch every Friday. Maybe two sandwiches so they could trade one to another kid.
Dave, they'd have to give it away 'cause they wouldn't want the mush. But maybe they could trade the sandwich for homework assignments?

Our two daughters, the Son In Law and Daughter In Law have all gone vegan, though the DIL will eat an egg and occasionally some fish or even a bit of meat.
It was an abrupt change for one daughter & SIL... when they were here last spring, he'd eat 6 eggs at breakfast, all manner of meat & fish... granted, lots of veggies, too, but when they came back in the fall... no meat, no eggs, no dairy. Sure put a cramp in cooking the Thanksgiving meal... well actually, not that much of a cramp... just had to make alternative 'vegan' dishes, when in the past, things had been heavy on cheese and dairy, not to mention a ham & turkey.

I'm learning to cook some vegan stuff, 'cause I want the kids to want to come home to visit, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna go that route! Yeah, we can make some passably edible vegan stuff - and what the wife and I cook is IMO, way better than the chickpea & butternut squash curry crap that the SIL usually whips up.

I'm afraid with the way the Xiden administration's policies are driving prices up, I'm gonna be relegated to making some 'fake meat' seitan crap and using it in place of ground beef. Plenty of deer out here on the farm, so if I have to, I can always go poach one if I gotta have some meat. Measly little 16 day modern gun season doesn't touch the population - been seeing 30 or more most evenings, in the 10 acre wheat/rye field below the house.

I remember in my day there was vegetarian kids at school, vegan was unheard of back then. These 'vegetarian' kids would pay anyone who had meat whatever they could to get it.

In my daughters school a heap of the girls went vegan at the end of the year......fast forward to the beginning of this year and most of them are back to meat eaters!

There is only one vegan in my extended family, a cousin of my wife. At a gathering i brought some stonefruit and she was eating it like it was going out of fashion, i didn't have the heart to tell her how many parrots i shot to stop them damaging the crop. One time in ten minutes i shot 36, with an air rifle. Neighbour shot over 100 the same day with a 12 gauge and up the road a grower was telling me they got some shooters in and on a weekend they shot over 400. Vegan is not what the vegans think it is.

Latest posts